Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Disc in a Tree Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BigBrotherPenton wrote:
Ben wrote this on July 2nd. I hope he found an answer before today.

I'm sure that he did. My statement is intended to stimulate thought on the subject, though.
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that this is now a 2-page thread, all of my typing was likely wasted, since nobody is likely to go back to the first page and read the details there. frown
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly stimulated me! (INSERT PROPER EMOTICON HERE WHEN JULIANA MAKES THEM HAPPEN)
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have no one else to blame but yourself. You shouldn't have responded so quick. But now people are going to be curious about your comment and will quickly go back to the first page. Well done!
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc in a Tree Reply with quote

burjwahzeh wrote:
BenW wrote:
I only ask because I wound up in a tree on #7 yesterday and wondered if I would have been penalized had it happened at the Capital Classic.

How's this for a response?

The rules of disc golf are intended to be fair. If you read something in the rules that sounds unfair, you are likely misinterpretting the rule, or missing the exception to the rule stated elsewhere in the rule book. The rules do not apply individually (unless stated explicitly). Rather, they for the code upon which the game is played.

So, why would the PDGA leave the 2m rule and the decision for its application up to the TD? Quite simply, to make the rules fair. Consider the following (familiar) case:

Applicaiton of the 2m rule: Camp Fortune vs. Jacques Cartier Park.

At CFDG, trees are a very real hazard on 16 of 18 holes. In most instances at CFDG, simply grazing a tree has a very undesirable effect: a shot stopped and caught in a tree is of similar consequence to simply hitting a tree and being left short, or worse, ending up "in jail". The application of the 2m rule at CFDG serves only as an additional (and almost random) consequence of what will in most cases end up being an already bad shot, and is therefore (IMO) unjust. Given the choice, the 2m rule should not apply.

The story at JCP is very different. At JCP, contact with a tree should only occur as a result of a wildly errant shot, especially when wide-open alleys are available for 16 of 18 holes. At JCP, the 2m rule can justly be applied, since the focus of play at JCP is on well-planned, well-controled shots, and contact with any tree above 2m is completely unnecessary. Such contact is more a sign of a poor shot decision, and if the disc remains in a tree and above 2m, the player should be prepared to accept a penalty stroke for their mistake.

In summary, the 2m rule should be applied when it makes sense to apply it. Simply being pro-2m or anti-2m is avoiding the entire purpose of the rules. It is there so that when it makes sense to use it, it can be used.

Cheers!
-P

Very interesting Paul. Hmmm. This certainly makes me think......
Captain Crunch
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle Master P wrote:
I also read somewhere that there is no penalty for height. plus out of bounds now includes the line so no more "it's only half way in the water..." and lost discs must be played from original lie and so there's no more "where did we see it last..."

The ruling for OB now includes the line as OB but for the disc to be considered OB it must be completely surrounded by the OB. So you may still have some debates as to whether it is half in the OB area. Here is the ruling.

A. A disc shall be considered out-of-bounds only when it comes to rest and it is clearly and completely surrounded by the out-of-bounds area. A disc thrown in water shall be deemed to be at rest once it is floating or is moving only by the action of the water or the wind on the water. See section 803.03 F. The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of-bounds. In order to consider the disc as out-of-bounds, there must be reasonable evidence that the disc came to rest within the out-of-bounds area. In the absence of such evidence, the disc will be considered lost and the player will proceed according to rule 803.11B.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: