Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Measuring Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
axe
Putter

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 8:41 am    Post subject: Measuring Devices Reply with quote

Can I use a measuring device to determine if another player is more then 10m away from the hole?

I know I can't use any measuring device to measure my own shots but can I do it for someone else?

James

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Measuring Devices Reply with quote

"..... The use of devices which assist in determining distances , such as range finders, are prohibited.
"
redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:57 pm    Post subject: Measuring Devices Reply with quote

From the PDGA website:
quote:

Rule Question: Measuring devices within 10 meters
Question:
Is it legal to use a range finder to determine whether a putt is within 10 meters?

Applicable rules:

802.04 Artificial Devices

Response:

The rule states that

The use of devices which assist in determining distances , such as range finders, are prohibited.
On first glance, that rule could be read to prohibit any device used to determine any distance, for example, the use of a tape measure to determine the height of a disc stuck in a tree. But in this and similar cases (one meter from OB, five meters for relief, three meters on the tee pad, etc), the measuring is not done in order to assist the making of the throw, as mentioned at the beginning of the rule. On the other hand, using range finders (or anything else) to measure distance for an upcoming shot from the fairway or tee directly assists the making of that throw, and is illegal.

Measuring devices are allowed when it's necessary to determine a distance in order to make a ruling:

30 centimeters, stance
1 meter, lie near OB
2 meters, lie above ground
3 meters, stance on tee pad
5 meters, casual relief and unsafe lie
10 meters, putting

Summary:

The use of a measuring device (including range finders and any other device) to determine the ten-meter status of a putt is legal, since it does not assist in the making of the putt.

Yours Sincerely,
The PDGA Rules Committee

Edit: Highlight important summary in Quote.

[This message has been edited by redline (edited October 12, 2004).]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: