Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> New discs in the middle of a round?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

Here is the situation:
I am playing a tournament round and half way through our round our group goes by the flymart at the tournament. Am I alowed to buy discs and use them in the current round I am playing in?
2. Am I alowed to borrow a disc from someone else be it from our group or another group? ( a second question)

tankmiz
Putter

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

If it slows down the pace of your group you get strokes.

If its during waiting/down time it doesn't violate any specific rules.
Curtesy rule aren't offended so basicly it would become a judgement call of Fairplay. Is it fair that if you lost your driver on hole one, you get to buy an other one on hole 4. Ball golf forbids adding and changing the clubs in your bag. Disc golf lets you carry as many as you want so to avoid this problem buy your disc prior to the tournement and carry extras.

I would let you but you need to have the group or an official agree and its more jugement in the spirit of the rules than a rule itsels. Can a disc in a thornbush be considered a dangerous lie. If your a wuss yes, if your a real man no. Is buying a new disc in mid round fairplay, if your competitive no if your easy going, yes.

You can ask but don't be suprise if the group says no.

redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Terapin Flyer:
Am I alowed to buy discs and use them in the current round I am playing in?
Am I alowed to borrow a disc from someone else be it from our group or another group? ( a second question)

As I read the rules, yes, and likely yes. Before you can use the new disc, though, you must mark it (for instance, put your name on it). The rule only states that it must be uniquely marked. The rules only state that you may not throw an "unmarked" disc, so by the letter of the rules, you can throw a disc that you've borrowed.

Now, here is where interpretation gets sketchy:

quote:
(802.01) F. All discs used in play, except mini marker discs, must be uniquely marked in ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness

If you use another player's disc, can the disc now be considered Uniquely Marked? The ambiguity arises where my name (or identifying mark) is now on two discs in play, so the marking on the disc is no longer unique, even though the discs may be very different in other ways.
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

There are no rules on how many discs you carry or if you use someone elses, or buy one during the round.

T-Miz is right in that you may get a courtesy warning for taking too long. But if there's a hold up, and the Flymart is right there, then.....

BBP

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigBrotherPenton:
There are no rules on how many discs you carry or if you use someone elses, or buy one during the round....
BBP

Can you offer an interpretation on the "unique marking" ambiguity?

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by redline:
Can you offer an interpretation on the "unique marking" ambiguity?

See: the artist formaly known as prince

[This message has been edited by Terapin Flyer (edited May 12, 2004).]

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 10:20 am    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

"Unique marking" means to have something on the disc in " ink or pigment-based marking which has no detectable thickness " that would distinguish your disc from others in the tournament, not only your group.

If everyone puts with an KC 11x white aviar with a blue foil stamp, then there needs to be a marking on the disc that says that this is either yours or someone elses. It doesn't have to be your name or anything (we do that in Ottawa so we get our discs back if a friendly finds them) but something that would let you know if you are shooting from the appropriate lie.

It has to be different then everyone in the tournament because if you lose a disc in the rough and you continue on without finding it, and the next group happens to shoot into the same rough, the group behind you needs something to tell them that that is not their disc.

It can be as simple as your initials, or your name, or your PDGA number, a drawing, anything at all.

If you could argue it, you could dye your disc a different pattern then anyone else, and you might get away with it. It does say ink and something or rather.

A guy we played with once just put dots in a pattern on his discs.

BBP

tankmiz
Putter

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:17 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

The "Fairplay" issue could be a factor. One can argue that it's not fair to replace a lost disc mid game. So it's really the groups decision. The fact that "we" are so nice and friendly in Ottawa doesn't mean everywhere they are. (They probalby are if they're DGolfers but who knows, I'm a nice ex soccer player, rare but we do exist)
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:41 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

I think you'd be hard pressed to be able to find the time to replace a disc during a tournament round. People selling their wares have probably packed up their stuff and are playing. Grabbing something from the car as you walk by I wouldn't see as a problem at all. If you've lost a disc you've already gotten a circle.

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: New discs in the middle of a round? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigBrotherPenton:
... If you've lost a disc you've already gotten a circle.

... or you are replacing a disc that has broken and can no longer be used.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: