Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> doesn't it seem odd to you?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tankmiz
Putter

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 7:24 am    Post subject: doesn't it seem odd to you? Reply with quote

I was going over the official rules of the game (following BBP recomandation) and one rules just doesn't sit right with me.

If send my disc in a bush wich is out of bounds it's 1 stroke penalty and I mark the lie where it went out (1 meter) but if I send my disc in a bush that is in bounds the only relief I can get is if I convince my group that it's a dangerous lie (still one stroke, maybe two depending how far in the bush I'm at) Not being a wuss, I can't call a dangerous lie because of thorn bushes so i'll be down three strokes by the time I can get out. DOesn't seem righ but I guess it's like ball golf. You can't get telief from a sand trap. YOu just need to play through it. what I find strange is that if you want to play smart and aren't sure to make it to a clearing go toward the OB instead of the bushes. Please tell me I'm wrong.

[This message has been edited by tankmiz (edited May 11, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by tankmiz (edited May 11, 2004).]

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 8:54 am    Post subject: doesn't it seem odd to you? Reply with quote

An interesting problem...

The way I see it is as you mentioned in respect to ball golf: you cannot get relief from a bunker. To further the point, the traps are located where they are located for a reason: to make life difficult. Therefore, any bush or other obstacle deemed "in-play" is there to add challenge to a hole.

I would imagine, too, that the thinking is that if you throw OB, you're already well off your intended line to the basket which, for many of us, is equivalent to adding at least one more stroke without it being an official penalty.

That's how I see it even though I haven't read all my rules, yet, but am looking forward to my cokes from BBP.

Andrew

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: doesn't it seem odd to you? Reply with quote

That's the fun thing about DG, and thank god is different from WBG. Our sand traps are the bushes. You get in there you bet it going to take 3 to get out, then you shouldn't have gone in there. It also forces you to be either a fantastic driver, or a fantastic trick shot master.

We are spoiled with JCP and it's openness, and lack of rough. Chili in Rochester has the long holes (400 +, 500+, 911) with the bushes and OBs that line the fairway, and in some instances, in the middle of the fairway. Makes you think.

Courses like White Spruce (Brampton), Water works (St. Thomas), and Basil Marilla (Rochester) are in the forest. It is the rough at JCP.

Pick a shot that won't get you in the rough. Play it for a 3 and be safe. Play it for 1 or 2 and you may be rewarded or you may have some work to do.

I'm not sure what particular hole you are talking about Tankmiz, but I can't think that your only two options are OB or a bush.

BBP

tankmiz
Putter

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:19 pm    Post subject: doesn't it seem odd to you? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by BigBrotherPenton:
I'm not sure what particular hole you are talking about Tankmiz, but I can't think that your only two options are OB or a bush.

BBP

No hole in particular but the discussions on this section and your answer to my last question made me read the rules and at first I was shock that relief from getting a disc stuck in a bush OB was easier than relief from a bush inbounds. Than I though of Jean Van de Ma... at the British Open a few years back that blew a three stroke lead on the last hole because of in bounds hazards.
I just found it to be quirky and if you've seen me play you know that I'm very inconsistent (I know, practice practice practice) but that being said It made me realize that if I have to chose between middle of thorn bush inbounds or OB on the track (navtel 5) I'll aim for the opening but cheat a little to the right knowing that short right (track OB 1 stroke) is probably lest damaging than far left (very thick thorn bush- unless your a wuss you get no relief - you can get out in one but it can also take you 3 for an average of two)

Just thinking out loud.

Just like mentioning that if you see your buddy shanking on his tee off you could always call a stance violation (say he steped over the tee line)and if he agrees (or others do) and its his/her first time (only do this if he/she hasn't already received a warning) he/she gets a warnign and get to through again. You can do this once per round so basically if you partner up to do this you get 1 mulligan per round.(this I know is unethical [maybe] but legal)

Aren't rules fun.

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: doesn't it seem odd to you? Reply with quote

The track hole, uummmmm, that's #5 right. Put a rock to the opening of the channel, then lay up for the easy put. OR Drive the disc right into the forest on the right hand side, and for some reason there's a force feild there that throws my disc out everytime. Not a birdie, but not a boogie.
But I see your point on this hole...go OB to save a stroke on going into the rough. That's a funny hole. And an interesting take on it.

BBP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: