Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Do you know your rules? Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

Here's a good one that I've seen on our course before:

Gavin Schnobb (we'll call him Player A) tees off from hole 12 (formerly 13B). He puts his 169g XL into the chains and scores an ace ... for hole 11.

Two scenarios:
1) Assume that this is a hole with no mandatory. What is the ruling?
2) Assume that this hole has a mandatory, and Player A threw the disc straight into the wrong hole, missing the mandatory shot.
What is the ruling?

Cheers!

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by colin:
DO YOU KNOW THE RULES.......

Player A is putting. The disc brushes the chains of the basket and and hits Player B in the legs while he is inapproriately walking behind the basket while Player A is putting.

What is the ruling? Who gets the strokes added?

By walking while the other player is putting, Player B is guilty of a courtesy violation and is to be warned against making himself or herself a distraction (ref. 801.01). No strokes yet, but the next time they commit a courtesy violation, they can be penalized one stroke.

803.06 Interference covers the rest of the incident:
It doesn't sound like Player B intentionally hit the disc, so it is to be played from where it comes to rest. No further penalty.

If Player B kicked the disc, or meant to hit it, the disc is marked where it was kicked, not where it comes to rest, and Player B is given 2 penalty strokes, no warnings. The rules do state, though, that two players must witness Player B's intentional interference. I can't imagine why someone would do this in any event.

Cheers!
-P

[This message has been edited by redline (edited April 22, 2004).]

LeppyR64
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:41 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by redline:

Player A tees off from hole 12. He puts his 169g XL into the chains and scores an ace ... for hole 11.

Two scenarios:
1) Assume that this is a hole with no mandatory. What is the ruling?
2) Assume that this hole has a mandatory, and Player A threw the disc straight into the wrong hole, missing the mandatory shot.
What is the ruling?

Alright, here we have a few options, redline has already laid out the first two. The other question is what our buddy, Player A, does next.

Scenario 1)
A) if A knows darn well that this is the wrong hole, then he continues play from a lie directly beneath the hole. (801.04 B.3)
B) if A doesn't know he's in the wrong hole he holes out and later takes a two stroke penalty for misplaying the course (801.04 B.3)

Scenario 2)
A) if A or someone else in the group realizes he's missed the Mando he takes a penalty stroke and plays from the Drop Zone as stipulated in 803.11 B. (801.04 B.2)
B) (assuming A played the disc from a lie beneath the hole (801.04 B.3)) if it isn't realized that A has missed the Mando until after he takes another shot, then he gets to finish the hole without going to the drop zone and he gets assessed a two stroke penalty (801.04 B.2)

Summary: don't put your disc in the wrong hole

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

See isn't this fun.

The only thing I have a problem with is Mr. Ground Hog. I think that you could call it an "unsafe lie" therefore take your stroke.

The dangerous biting ground hog I have an issue with. You could mark the disc with a mini and place your foot behind it, and we know the ground hog ain't gonna bite. So you need to be a little ingenious with your stance. If it were a tree and not a hole, there would be no question (thems fighting words).

At the Capital Classic last year we deemed the holes a casual obstacle and you'd take it from the rear of the hole (sounds kinky don't it). I'm sure most people would let this happen anyway in your group.

But anything that interferes with your run up has to stay put.

Black Aces (sinking in the wrong basket) are a free beer in Ottawa to the people in your party, from you. And $5 in TO, also you end up with a shity lie (under the basket).

BBP

[This message has been edited by BigBrotherPenton (edited April 22, 2004).]

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by LeppyR64:

Summary: don't put your disc in the wrong hole

Words to live by. Even outside the Disc Golf World.

tankmiz
Putter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:32 am    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

Ok, here's one for you. If on #2 I through my 167 leopard toward the basket when an evil groundhog (probably a distant cousin to the one in "Caddyshack")jumps out of its hole and catches it midflight (right before landing of course)and runs it all the way to the star basket (in a stait line without going ob) before dropping it. Now if he had picked it up off its resting spont on the ground it would be simple; play it were it landed but now where do you play it from. Were the Ground hog took it, where it would have probably landed, where it now lies or tee off again. Any penalty?
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 11:55 am    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by tankmiz:
Ok, here's one for you. If on #2 I through my 167 leopard toward the basket when an evil groundhog (probably a distant cousin to the one in "Caddyshack")jumps out of its hole and catches it midflight (right before landing of course)and runs it all the way to the star basket (in a stait line without going ob) before dropping it. Now if he had picked it up off its resting spont on the ground it would be simple; play it were it landed but now where do you play it from. Were the Ground hog took it, where it would have probably landed, where it now lies or tee off again. Any penalty?

803.06A A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an official.

The ground hog intentionally caught the disc, therefore it's just marked at the point of contact. Probably right over the hole.

No penalties.

BBP

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:01 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by tankmiz:
...an evil groundhog ... jumps out of its hole and catches it midflight (right before landing of course)and runs it...

While there is no specific provisions in the rules for such instances (and if you consider retrieving dogs, this isn't such a leap of possibility), the interference section sums the course of action up nicely:

quote:
803.06 A: A thrown disc that hits another player, spectator, or animal shall be played where it comes to rest. A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an official...

In this case, the disc was caught and moved and shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact. There is no penalty for this happening. You won't have to make a 700' approach shot after all.

Cheers!
-P

redline
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:05 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

Penton,
you're quick getting those responses in. Do you have any kids in your class?

Say, this whole topic seems to have drummed-up an unending amount of interest. Should we consider Rules as a UBB subject heading?

Cheers!
-P

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:18 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

I got one:
Penton is in the process of putting on a windy day. During his mid stroke my ball cap blows away off my head into his line of putting, (all unintentional) and he duffs his shot. What happens? Does he get to kick my ass? strokes? light a dubie and say shit happens?
BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

Rolly if you think I'm stroking you, you're nuts!!

803.06 A. A thrown disc that hits another player, spectator, or animal shall be played where it comes to rest. A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be marked as close as possible to the point of contact, as determined by a majority of the group or an official. Players should not stand or leave their equipment where interference with the flight or path of a disc could easily occur. The away player may require other players to mark their lies or move their equipment before making a throw if the player believes that either could interfere with his or her throw.

So no penalty....I do think that I get to kick the hat until it's remains are nothing but dust. But I'd have to do it quietly and without distraction to others...801.01 B. Players should take care not to produce any distracting noises or any potential visual distractions for other players who are throwing. Examples of discourteous actions are: shouting, cursing, freestyling, slapping course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a violation of courtesy.

Lighting a dubie falls under 804.05 (4) Activities which are in violation of the law or park regulation or disc golf course rule, including the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol.

Which would get me DQ'd. Which would not get me a Sundae or Blizzard.

But I practice this sort of thing all the time. My students throw stuff at me while I put in the school yard (they're actually trying to put as well, but they suck).

BBP

[This message has been edited by BigBrotherPenton (edited April 27, 2004).]

BigBrotherPenton
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Do you know your rules? Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by redline:
Penton,
you're quick getting those responses in. Do you have any kids in your class?

They had a rough last week and had to have their heads down for 10 minutes during their Gym time. Quiet time for the teacher!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: