Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Spring season golf
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 9:55 am    Post subject: Spring season golf Reply with quote

Granted, the man is calling for another 25cm of the white stuff today, so I may be a little off asking about Spring season, but there is a method behind my madness.

Can anyone recall when Jacques Cartier Park generally dries out enough for us to play without ruining the grass (like those soccer players did last year)?

I'd like to run a Worlds Biggest event here, but only if it can likely be held in a «safe» time of the season. The Worlds Biggest is scheduled for May 3-4 this year, which I suspect will be too early for us, but I was hoping for a few more opinions.

Comments? Feedback? Abuse? It's your cue...

redline
Spin Doctor

Location: My canoe has run out of pancakes and the skidoo needs more woodchips.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Spring season golf Reply with quote

quote:
Originally posted by Don Lane:

Can anyone recall when Jacques Cartier Park generally dries out enough for us to play without ruining the grass (like those soccer players did last year)?

Well, recalling last spring, er, um, summer, the river was high enough to keep everyone off of 2 & 3 until well into June. That was REALLY unusual, though. The soccer shredders were ripping up the fields in late April and early May. Things are normally okay by May long weekend, though...

Cheers!
-P

Terapin Flyer
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Spring season golf Reply with quote

knowing what I know about plants we would not have to worry about damaging the grass in spring.

A) Disk golfing we walk around the course in the same direction as opposed to say soccer where everyone is running 360degrees on a square field or in a closed region, Or even ultimate, what i'm trying to say is that you dont have alot of people running around in the same small space trampling the same areas of the field (like the penalty area of the socce field, always dirt no grass). We could have 30 people drive off in a tourny and there drives would most likely land in 27 different spots (say 3 maw would land on each other). there fore walking to the disk in say 60 shots (two rounds for the tourny X number of golfers)there would be prob 50 different trails max. That grass would not be really effected being walked on once and then prob not being walked on for the next 24 hrs. also (the hanging out area if watered after would prob fix that after)

B) The grass is healthy because the dirt is damp. Thats about the time of year that if you sat on the grass your ass would get wet a little. Thats when the grass is happiest. If it does get damaged the presence of massive amounts of water (compared to the vol of the grass) the grass can fix damage quickly. Also when the grass needs to reproduce cells to replace others it makes them stronger cells then previously existed. The sun is also not at it's peak of power which is nice fot them also. The worst time for the grass is the height of summer when its like 900000degress and has not rained for weeks. If the grass is damaged the repairing process is minimal because all its energy is saved for keeping it's self alive.

The teepad areas will get rutted a lot easier though. By the way the river looks I think #2 might be under water
I think you should giver on the tounament, and whats the worlds biggest?

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 7:34 pm    Post subject: Spring season golf Reply with quote

World's Biggest is an annual tournament that is held simultaneously at about a hundred locations across the planet. It's a good way to kick off a season and to expose the sport to new people, as well as a way to get the seasoned players back into the season.

As for the turf conditions, I'm most concerned with the tee off areas and the grass immediately in front of them. Other areas on the course may also hold water in limited areas which would make playing difficult.

If we do hold a World's Biggest event, it may be a Triple Crown on the 9 holes on the north side of the course, as this area tends to be drier than the south side.

By the way, T.F., who are you?

[This message has been edited by Don Lane (edited March 24, 2003).]

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:50 am    Post subject: Spring season golf Reply with quote

Spring Season Golf is upon us!

While the parking lots are not yet open, there were 8 (count 'em, eight) groups playing yesterday when I was out for my first full round.

Half of those groups were playing with ulty discs and the other half with golf discs. One group consisted of 8 new players.
Nice to see so many new faces.

The only 'local' I saw was Jean-Guy Snowpants, who cheered on my drive on #2. That, I can do without.

________

Edit: Sunday was drier, and sunnier, but surprisingly, not as crowded.

[This message has been edited by Don Lane (edited April 14, 2003).]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: