Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> How does the length of JC compair to other courses?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 10:10 am    Post subject: How does the length of JC compair to other courses? Reply with quote

I followed the link to www.cnydga.org when reading the "Tourney in NY" post to take a look at their course.

I was surprised at the average hole length of their course.

They have have an average hole length of 217 feet (over 9 holes) while JC has an average hole length of 269 feet per hole (over 18 holes).

Assuming that the data from both websites is correct how should I interpret these results.
- Is their course short?
- Is JC short, average or long?

I guess I'm looking for some kind of indication as to how JC length compares to most courses.

[edit: display]

[This message has been edited by Mike Harley (edited September 28, 2001).]

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 10:53 am    Post subject: How does the length of JC compair to other courses? Reply with quote

Check out pdga.com's course directory.

Also check out kenclimo.com.

Now I've gone and identified myself as disc golf geek....

Will Ferrell

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 11:01 am    Post subject: How does the length of JC compair to other courses? Reply with quote

A lot of courses have two sets of tees. Toronto Island is a prime example. On the first day of the TIO (Toronto Invitational Open)the tees were in the short placements. The second day of the tourney the pins were in the long placements. The Ottawa crew performed mediocrely on the first day...but the second day, we crushed people. We had the long drives with accuracy. They didn't.

This leads me to believe:
- because most of us started out as ulti players that we have bigger arms with better accuracy.

- the length of the first 9 at JC were huge in the first couple of years. The overall course has been shortened, somewhat...so, in answer to your question... we have a long course from the few that I've seen.

Etobicoke is quite long. You'd really like it Harley...27 holes of fun(...sounds like a Bangkok whoooore house.)

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 11:10 am    Post subject: How does the length of JC compair to other courses? Reply with quote

We do have long holes but there are many courses with 500 and 600 foot holes. The Texas average is over 300 ft.

When we played in the second day of the TIDE tourney with long pins, we still played from the short tees so things were still within our reach.

Toronto Island long tees to long pins (what am1 and masters and pro played on day 2) is way longer than Ottawa.

Last time I played that setting, it added 10 strokes (at least) to my game. Humbling to know that some of these guys were still birding a large percentage of the holes.

Will Ferrell

OG
Tree Pruner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 11:29 am    Post subject: How does the length of JC compair to other courses? Reply with quote

I played Juan de Fuca on Vancouver Island a couple of falls ago. 18 holes on a hill in thick woods. None of the holes would be longer than JC's #13 and #14, but none of the holes were as open as those either. Driving uphill/downhill through trees with a midrange then putting for birdie. No need to even bring your drivers.
Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2001 11:34 am    Post subject: How does the length of JC compair to other courses? Reply with quote

After a quick survey of courses on ww.pdga.com it seems that our course is probably a bit shorter then average. I guess that's why I've been able to get by so far with just a driver and a putter.
Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2001 7:32 am    Post subject: How does the length of JC compair to other courses? Reply with quote

In the 1999 world championships they had a hole called 9-1-1, as it was 911 feet, Scott Stokely pars it with a drive of over 600 feet and then a 200 foot approach - we're all a bunch of amateurs!!
DFB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: