Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Friggin' Vandals...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 12:19 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

On my round this morning, I noticed that the signs and posts for #9 and #11 are missing and the sign for #15 is gone, too.

Friggin' vandals...

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

Shaggy
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:04 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

I believe the Seabass has signs and posts for #9 and #11, but 15 I am not sure about

Nuthin beats Roc
Troll2

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 1:38 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

OMG, Seabass is the vandal!
#$%@
WAIT TILL I SEE HIM, I KICK HIS ASS!
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:08 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

Friggin' Seabass

(hey...good team name)

Andrew

------------------

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:28 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

I have ordered a new sign for #13, which I believe is gone for good. If any other signs need replacing, please let me know, and I'll order new ones.
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 2:53 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

This is rapidly becoming a money pit.

Peter, could the positioning of the signs be reconsidered.

'Hidden' to those not looking for them....eg On #8, positioned next to the trees, obstructed from view of the path but still visible to those who know what to look for.
Just a thought. andy

[This message has been edited by chowder (edited September 12, 2001).]

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:10 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

I have the sign and post for #11, but #9 is gone.

This has been an expensive year for the course.

Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2001 3:17 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

Cementing the signs in the ground, like the baskets, will make it less likely that someone will take the whole pole.

Fusing the bolts holding the sign so they cannot easily be loosened will make it less likely someone will take the sign.

Is there much more vandalism this year then in past years?

If so, does anyone think that the vandalism is a systematic effort by person or persons who don't like us in the park?

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:20 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

There has been more vandalism this year than in the previous three seasons combined. I believe the park attracts more than its fair share of derelicts. We'll have to be more protective of our investment.

Double-nutting and lock-nutting are good places to start. I would prefer to take the signs out for the winter as the freeze-thaw cycle makes them rot. But given our experience this year (two signs stolen so far), combined with the fact that the signs cost only $30 each, perhaps it would be wiser to plant them more permanently in the ground (lock-nuts, cement) and leave 'em in year 'round.

These are the kind of issues that are best acted upon by an executive (here I go again). I know many ODGC members are also busy with OCUA business, but I hope at least three will step forward to run for this body. I hope to name (or have members elect) an ODGC executive at the Plaid later this month.

In the meantime, I'll order a sign for #9, and a new basket. This, by the way, will pretty much break the ODGC bank.

Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:42 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

Are tourney's like the plaid jacket break event events or do they raise money for the disc golf club?
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 8:44 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

While putting numbers up on most of the new baskets, I noticed the same thing. I took a look for both signs and posts and was able to find one post, that of #9, and one wallet, complete with a dozen credit cards and a Canadian passport.

The post for #9 is under one of the big trees about 25' to the left of the tee box.

The wallet belonged to an ulty player and was given to Naked Flamingo, who also took my TAG.

Ophelia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 9:34 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

although not a disc golfer, I do use the course occasionally with friends... here is my thought..
If the signs are cemented in and the vandals cannot just pull them out they may resort to just snapping them off. My suggestion is, and this also solves the freeze/thaw issue, that you replace the wooden posts with metal ones, this way you can cement them in and people can try and bend them, but a bend is easier to fix then a break. As for the signs, you could take them down in the winter, or find some more permanent way to attach them... I can't think of anything to 'solve' that problem...

hags
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:12 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

From what I remember, (and my memory isn't that great) the sign posts are already metal! Is there any wooden posts?!
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 11:27 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

The sign posts ARE metal. Only the signs themselves are made of wood.

I'm surprised they havn't set fire to them yet.

With all this damage, and now the news on the other thread about Dean Manning's back window being broken, is there any doubt left that there is a group of... residents... in the park who are trying to dissuade us from using "their" park?

Maybe we should ask the police to raid the place!

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 12:16 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

Geez, Don, I heard that you staged your own raid last night between holes #8 and #9.

Andrew

------------------

annielaurie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 1:35 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

I didn't see the other thread, what happened to Dean's window?
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:12 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

Just looking for the signs! At least I found one signpost, but there was no sign of the signs.
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:15 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

Oh yeah - the raid with NF.

My swill almost hit the "residents" driving uphill on 9. Most unpleasant.

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2001 2:17 pm    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

If you talk with NF again, please have him send me his result against Steve Ott.

Now I feel like a post padder. Wink

Mike Harley
Driver

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2001 11:45 am    Post subject: Friggin' Vandals... Reply with quote

One of the bolts on the sign at hole #12 has been removed. The other bolt is on tight, I couldn't remove it with my bare hands. I think that is why the sign is still there.

sigh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: