Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Driving Instructor
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 11:53 am    Post subject: Driving Instructor Reply with quote

Hi,

OK, I've only been golfing regularly for about a month or so but I am getting frustrated with my piss-poor drives (or "pussy-throws" as Bass likes to call them ). Is there anyone who would like to give of their time and head out for a round sometime to give me some directed instruction to increase the distance of my drives?

Chowder did a good job of showing me the "chainsaw" style of release and that has helped. I still need more distance, however, to get over this plateau on which I am stuck.

I'll spring for refreshments at the Dep before playing The Mullet

I can be reached at brother_andre@hotmail.com or on the cell at 295-3473.

Thanks!

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!

Dog Face Boy
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 2:23 pm    Post subject: Driving Instructor Reply with quote

Bro Andre:
Tips are tips but practice is practice...that is to say you can only get so much from someone else's advice. The problem is everyone's advice is different and won't neccesarily work for you. Here's what I suggest:
-go to the PDGA site and link to their 'disc'cusion forum
-read the 100's of tips on driving distance (and putting too if you feeling like overloading)and figure out what seems to be you're style - you know what you feel like when you do get a good drive
-go to a 'driving range' of sorts - a soccer field ect. (not the course as you'll end up playing) and practice
-come back to the course with new range in hand and wow us all!

That is all.
DFB

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 3:19 pm    Post subject: Driving Instructor Reply with quote

There are plans afoot for a clinic, as you will soon read about in the Ottawa Citizen. In an article slated for Friday, August 17th, sponsor Rob Wormald and moi announce a disc golf clinic (at this stage it's set for Sunday August 26th, from 2-4 p.m.).

Plans are still under development (i.e. we haven't really thought about it much), but the idea is for Rob to bring a bunch of plastic, me to bring the portable, and to get a number of regular golfers out to offer advice/assistance, and to play a round with newer players.

I do plan on passing this along to Ultimate Happenings, and will post something here once it's all official, but given the fact I'm an old news hound, I reckoned OF types deserved an advance scoop.

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 8:19 am    Post subject: Driving Instructor Reply with quote

Thanks to Bass for taking me out on Friday (once the heat wave broke) and helped me out with a few things. His instructions led the way to a record round for me yesterday finishing at +15...

Seriously, though, for those starting out, playing a round with a more experienced player is definitely the way to go...you can be sure that I'll be at those clinics!

Andrew

------------------
Master of funk and...EVIL!
...and I STILL can't birdie "The Orchard"...crap!

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2001 12:41 pm    Post subject: Driving Instructor Reply with quote

brother,
first step... stop taking lessons from Bass. (love ya Bass)

DFB is right. Practice.
Ultimate players dig from the hip for power. For golf, power is derived from a fluid motion coming straight across at shoulder height.

good luck, would love to put in a round with you after Nationals.

Vote Chowder.

andy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: