Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Bracket Left-Handed???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:10 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

Not enough trash talking surrounding the match play series lately, so...

I know you've been thinking about it ever since the bracket was drawn... you might not be admitting it openly, but it's in the back of your mind... "Man, that left side of the bracket is murder!" If you were on the left, you were asking yourself what you had done to deserve the fate... and if you were on the right, you were going "Yeah, baby! Easy street!".

Of course, the neophyte Gavin Thompson's of the world will be discounting any talk in this regard, claiming prodigy status as they finish in the top four... Is this hot air, or do they really deserve it? As in any sports, we have to turn to the stats to have any sort of reasonable guess.

So, here are the brackets, with the player's May 2001 ranking as listed on the ODGC website:

Left side
Name / Ranking
=======================
Reitlingshoefer, 1
Darcovich, 2
Morrisey, 4
Wormald, 5
Hall-Jones, 6
Penny, 8
Lange, 14
O'Brien, 67

Right side
Name / Ranking
=======================
Meldrum, 3
Seabrook, 7
Holland, 9
Lane, 12
Visser, 13
McKinnon, 19
Thompson, 22
Kaegi, 26

Already, the descrepancies are becoming obvious... Aside from having both the #1 and #2 ranked players on the left side:

Category: Left Side / Right Side
=================================

Top Five Players: 4 / 1
Top Ten Players: 6 / 3
Top Fifteen Players: 7 /5

Now let's calculate a power ranking based on the sum totals of the individual rankings on each side. Since bigger is generally better, and to properly highlight the relative disparity between various rank numbers, let's use the total points the player has accumulated in the system:

Left Side / Rank / Pts
========================
Reitlingshoefer, 1, 1004
Darcovich, 2, 923
Morrisey, 4, 696
Wormald, 5, 634
Hall-Jones, 6, 531
Penny, 8, 401
Lange, 14, 325
O'Brien, 61, 0

TOTAL: 4514

Right Side / Rank / Pts
========================
Meldrum, 3, 708
Seabrook, 7, 446
Holland, 9, 399
Lane, 12, 362
Visser, 13, 346
McKinnon, 19, 233
Thompson, 22, 210
Kaegi, 26, 147

TOTAL: 2851

Ay carumba! Now we're talking night and day! After Chuck Shick, the right side's #1 seed and 3rd overall, you have to go all the way down to the left side's #6 seed Wheels to get a lower points total than Seabass, the right side's #2. Could it be any more obvious? And of course, the one dark horse in the mix is Tom O'Brien, who doesn't have any results in the system, and hence sits at #67 in the rankings. However, given that he had extremely close matches with both the #1 and the #2 seed, we ccan realistically suggest that he is at least top 20, quite possibly top ten. This really pushes the left side over the top.

So there you have it. The left side of the bracket is far and away the more powerful of the two. And the worst part of it all? We just keep facing each other all the way through, win or lose. Just look at Hall-Jones... faces Morrisey in the first round, loses and draws me in the second round, loses (admittedly a gack on his part), and now has to face Tom, who took both Claus and Darco to the limit. And that's just to have a chance at finishing 12th out of 16! Meanwhile, Flamingo turned hacker NF awaits his opponent for an outside shot at finishing 4th. Where's the justice???

Cheers!

Ken

[This message has been edited by Ken Lange (edited June 19, 2001).]

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:41 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

Ken,

Next year I'll try to find a better deck of cards.

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:43 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

I knew you stacked it against yourself...
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:10 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

You make a good point Lange(14).

But I think the bigger issue here is how Wormald(5) managed to upset Darcovich(2) and Reitlingshoefer(1).

I mean, this shakes the very foundation of the sport. How are we to enjoy this game when the very ranking system that acts as the underpinning to our fun is so inaccurate that 5 can beat not only the number 2 ranking, but also the number 1 ranking! I myself am terrified at the prospect that such a weakness in our ranking system exists.

Shakenly yours,
Shick(3)…or am I?
:0

[This message has been edited by Chuck Shick (edited June 19, 2001).]

Will Ferrell

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:25 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

Hey, a topic for another thread - upsets that have occured! 5 over 2 & 1, 14 over 6, 22 over 9, 19 over 13. The world has gone topsy-turvy!
Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 11:06 am    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

Me thinks Ken is trying to make excuses for his poor play.
Naked Flamingo
Driver

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

I don't know. I don't give a ton of credit to our rankings (no offence to the creators), but it is a little tournament heavy.

So I havn't played in a lot of tournaments, I don't think I've lost to Seabass this year and he is ranked 7th.

How about this Ken, we can get together and play for a nickle a hole and after the game we can sit down and talk about it while I enjoy my $0.90 cup of coffee over at the Depaneur.

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2001 11:07 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

Bring it on Bird Boy. I'll take you on with or without my injured arm. Time to send you back to the nest.

[This message has been edited by Seabrook (edited June 21, 2001).]

Naked Flamingo
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2001 3:57 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

How was your round today? I heard you only lost 2 discs on 10 holes, not bad!
annielaurie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2001 2:51 pm    Post subject: Bracket Left-Handed??? Reply with quote

Please forgive me. I was just telling him about how I,luckily, didn't lose any of your discs and it slipped out that two of yours went awol.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: