Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Discs for a New Player
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 2:25 pm    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

Hello,

I played my first ever rounds of disc golf this weekend and then bought a few discs without bothering to check out what they do (an unNamed Friend helped me). Now that I've done that, what discs would be best for a beginner like me? Thanks for your help.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Brother Andre (edited April 23, 2001).]

[This message has been edited by Brother Andre (edited April 23, 2001).]

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2001 2:47 pm    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

You could probably go a long way with two basic discs: a driver and a putter.

If you've just bought some golf discs, for the first while just stick with what you have and learn to throw them with good control. Perhaps you've noticed that they don't fly like Ultrastars, and since there is no one calling "travel" in DG, the ways in which you can wind up for your drives etc. will require some retooling before the skills are mastered. (ie; it will get worse before it gets better...) After you figure out some of
the flight characteristics of the discs you have and clearly recognize missing elements to your game, only then should you seek to add more models to fill the gaps in your golf bag. Realize too, that the same disc model in "heavy" or "light" versions will provide versatility.

Mike Hall Jones
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

What discs/weights have you got, Andre?

While I have a bagful of plastic, I tend to stick to the old favorites:

My Driver was a first run 172g Eagle (which is now in the bushes on #2) or a 172g gazelle.

I've got a couple of Scorpions for left bending approaches, an Eclipse and a Wolf for right bending approaches.

My putter is a monster Zyphyr.

Everybody has their favorites, just used to yours and then try some more.

If you don't get a consistent "swing", then it won't matter much what you throw.

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2001 5:02 pm    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

What discs do I have? Good question. One is blue...um...hang on Wink

OK, I have a Discraft Elite MRV Stable Mid-Range 175g; Innova Banshee Ulra-long Overstable Driver 169g; a Polaris LF (has the number 2.2 on the face) 174g. That's my current collection. What can you tell me?

Andrew

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 9:26 am    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

my take on your gear is this:

you have 2 drivers and a mid-range.
use the drivers when you really wind up and throw hard. The Polaris will likely be better into the wind since it's heavier. It is probably less overstable (tendency to fall off to the left) despite its weight and will be more useful when attempting a straight throw or forcing a right turnover. The opposite for the Banshee. The MRV is for shorter approaches into the target.

So, even for a beginner the urgent gap in your arsenal is a putter. Any model will do,
typical ones would be the Discraft Magnet, the Innova Aviar or the Lightning Rubber Putter. Trying to putt with an MRV will only promote poor technique since the disc is too overstable for short slow throws. You'll always be forced to compensate for leftwards falloff, which won't help you groove your putting.

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2001 2:03 pm    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

Brother Andre

I use a Polaris for my long drives, but it is more difficult to figure out than other discs that I have used. Its taken me a while to get to know it but now i love it.
I also use the Banshee, which i love because it turns on a dime.

My recommendation to you is to go out to Jack Carter park and throw out in the open, repeatedly. This will help you figure out what the discs do and therefore will help you figure out when you should use them. I think that at your level, the important thing is to figure out the proper way to throw it and not be so concerned with what you're throwing.

I would suggest an Aviar (innova) as a putter because of its consistency. It is similar to an ulti disc.

We are always out on the course at around 5 to 5:30pm most nights. Feel free to come and play with us. People with experience helped me extensively when I started and it lowered the steepness of the old learning curve dramatically.

Good Luck and have fun.

Chowder

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 6:57 am    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice and the invite to play. The 3.5 hour one way commute from 3-Rivieres may be a little too long right now, but I will join you in late June/early July when my lovely wife and I move to your fair city.

Thanks again and I'll see you in the park...playing golf Smile

Andrew

Brother Andre
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 12:21 pm    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

As it turns out, I'll be in Ottawa (again) this weekend looking for places to live and discs to buy. Does anyone know if Rob has any putters for sale? Thanks.

Andrew

chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2001 3:13 pm    Post subject: Discs for a New Player Reply with quote

I happen to have insider information on this issue. He got his new shipment in today. CD Exchange on Rideau Street will service all your disc golf/and Ultimate/and Gaia needs....

We'll be playing this weekend too....

chowder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: