Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Disc Golf Ranking
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2001 1:44 pm    Post subject: Disc Golf Ranking Reply with quote

Disc Golf Ranking Proposal

One of the projects that I'm working on during the off-season is a local disc golf ranking. I'm doing this to offer increased value for membership in the Ottawa Disc Golf Club as well as offering an aid to tournament organizers and a guide for local disc golfers to measure their progress.

It is an extended, but modified, version of an individual ranking process currently used in a Canadian Olympic sport.

Any ranking is most accurate when a suitable amount of people are compared over a wide number of ranking opportunities and tends to be most beneficial and accurate at the higher ends of the ranking.

I took into consideration only individual results at ODGC sanctioned tournaments for which I had results. Other individual tournaments can certainly be considered if the results are sent to me. We'll have to come up with a system to rank out of town tournaments based on a similar system. I have some ideas in that area, but for now, I'd just like to start some feedback coming in.

Similarly, I included one ranking item which is less easy to quantify - that of a person's best-ever result at the course. The points that I gave to these results may be too high/low, but at least it offers a starting point for consideration. It also ranks a number of people who would otherwise have a negligible ranking due to their lack of participation at ODGC individual tournaments.

The ranking consists of two distinct elements: Classification and Ranking. A classification is a letter, which indicates a person's relative skill to the rest of the field, and ranges from "A" at the high end, to "E" at the lower end. Unclassified people are considered lower in classification than those who have earned classifications through their tournament results or ODGC membership. A player's Ranking is an aggregate of their ranking points earned over a maximum of five tournaments + ranking points earned from their best result on the course. The ranking shows all players, ranked from top to bottom, and includes their current classification, and the points earned from the various tournaments they have been in.

I also gave each and every paid member of the ODGC a minimum "E" Classification, in consideration of their dedication to the sport and the reasonable amount of skill that they surely have. Over the course of the three Ottawa Opens which have been held, I've also distributed Classifications to other golfers based on their results. In general, in order to earn a classification, you have to beat at least half of the other golfers who already have that level of classification.

It is my hope that the ranking will help to encourage more people to compete locally and in out of town competitions, and to reward those who've helped put our group on the Canadian d.g. map. I'll update it throughout the season next year, perhaps on a monthly basis or more often if it is deemed necessary and interesting enough from the membership.

Since the membership is still quite small, but the interest is so high, I have no problems with non-members being ranked, but at the end of the upcoming season, I'd like the ranking to be for members only, since membership should have its perks.

Sorry for the length of this post.

Your constructive comments and questions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
~SpinnerDon~

Here is the proposed ranking:
http://www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/rank-dec00.html

Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 5:55 pm    Post subject: Disc Golf Ranking Reply with quote

That's a lot of math Don.

Will Ferrell
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 5:56 pm    Post subject: Disc Golf Ranking Reply with quote

That's a lot of math.

Will Ferrell
Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2001 10:52 pm    Post subject: Disc Golf Ranking Reply with quote

Well, it is the off season, and I have to make use of all those stats courses somehow.

Manu would understand it at a glance!

Basically, the more classified fencers there are at a tournament, the more points are issued. Thus, a golfer is rewarded for doing well against a high level of competition. Golfers are also rewarded for going to more tournaments and for their best-ever result, up to a maximum of five results. Eventually, old results will fall off the ranking.

There are incentives for placing in the top five at any event, so even if a tournament is small, the top finishers are rewarded.

I could show more stats, give more rationale, or annswer some specific questions if any float my way, but I'll be swamped this weekend, so I won't likely be able to respond until Monday.

~Don~

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: