Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> new hole locations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2000 11:33 am    Post subject: new hole locations Reply with quote

hi all,
well now that the season is pretty much over and we are all running out of things to slag each other about, I think its time the new hole locations were discussed.

If my memory serves, which it usually doesn't, we have six new baskets for next year.

This prompts the following questions:

1) Do we have approval from the G.D. NCC for the next 6 holes to go in?

2) How do we choose where these new holes go?

I do not have an answer to the first question but i do have a suggestion for the latter.

How about a contest where people can submit their ideas. We could use the map from the DG Online site and the best idea/submission would win a prize and the worst would receive a severe flogging.

Thoughts, comments, slags.....?

Seek the chains.
Chowderiffic

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 10:15 am    Post subject: new hole locations Reply with quote

Despite my reluctance to become an Open Forum regular (my slagging skills could use some work), this one leaves me no choice. And this is probably the best place to air out the ODGC laundry (hey at least it's clean). So grab your coffee, curl up by the fire-screen and read up.

1) We do not yet have permission to expand. Our contracts with the NCC include a clause that states that there is no guarantee we can use the park once the contract has expired. Every March, I pester them with phone calls, faxes and emails until I get a contract. I have laid the groundwork with them for an 18-hole course since day one, and have reminded them of our intentions in every "year-in-review" letter I sent. Last season, I gave them a design that showed where the next six holes would go, and in March of 2000, I walked the course with an NCC staffer to show where all 18 holes would go.

2) There is already a plan in place to expand to 18, and the tee/hole sites have already been chosen. While these are not carved in stone, keep in mind that some of the holes are at least poured in concrete.

It became evident by summer of '99 that the original nine would have to be moved for a number of reasons, not least of which was the need to accommodate more holes in the park. We had enough money (and later, the permission) to expand to 12. It seemed logical to plan an 18-hole course, then lay in 12 of these that would best serve to both establish us in the new part of the park, and to facilitate "links" style play. By doing it this way, we could pour concrete (our old-style pole hole mounts were wearing), establish some more squatters' rights with the NCC, and make it easier to put the course in, or take it out. When the NCC sprang the Millennium events on us this summer, I was glad we went this route.

At the Plaid Jacket of 1999, I showed off the design on a board, and walked the new hole placements with several people. Their feedback was key in working up the layout we have presently. The design is about 75% percent me, with input from a number of others - including a few who’ve been known to wear a plaid jacket at least once a year.

Designing a d.g. course is a delicate balancing act—it has to appeal not only to big and small arms alike, it also has to reduce the risk of bonking another park user in the head. Keep in mind that Jean-Guy snowpants may be a homeless drunk, but if we hit him on the head with a disc, and it hits the papers, and the NCC hears about it, we'd be out of the park quicker than swill off tee #3 sinks into the Ottawa River.

This is not to say that the 18 we hope to put in next spring will always stay that way. Alternate tee and pin placements are possible, as would be an eventual complete re-design.

Keep in mind that the destiny of the course is controlled by ODGC members. At last count, I think we were 18. We plan to vote shortly on restructuring membership to get more people in - i.e. make it cheaper. That's when we'll need not only your money, but your energy and input as well. More tournaments. Grounds maintenance. A weekly league. An ace pool. A rating/handicap system. We need (likely new) members to step up and run these things.

My goal has always been to build a decent 9-hole course, then let the momentum of the sport carry it forwards. If you look at the Edmonton club (their web address is in another forum thread), you'll see how quickly they've grown. As I keep repeating, I'm not the guy who's going to aggressively try to grow disc golf in the region - I'm just a pioneer who wants a place to go out and play once in a while, and who doesn’t mind doing some organizing and grunt work to make it happen. I’d be more than happy to pass these things along to anyone willing and able.

I think we've been tremendously successful, and getting to 18 holes is a big step - we can stage invitational tournaments so players from outside the region to come in and kick our asses. I don’t know about you, but I look forward to it—‘cos I know it’ll only improve my game.

TOEJAM
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 10:38 am    Post subject: new hole locations Reply with quote

How do you become a ODGC member? I am not even sure if I am one.
chowder
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 2:14 pm    Post subject: new hole locations Reply with quote

Peter,
Great response. my intention in beginning this thread was just to get the ball rolling. now i see that the ball has been rolling all along.

Since the course is laid out already and the need is for people to step up and help out, i would like to be one of those new members (financially, now that i have one of those so-called job type thingys) and to offer my services, organizational abilities, bilingualism (to assist with the local NCC/govt) and good looks to the ODGC.

I have played DG for the last two years without being a full fledged member and feel that my time has come to contribute to an organization that has provided me with so much enjoyment over the past two years.

Please email me at Chowder@hotmail.com so that i may contribute my time and $$$$$ cash money.

Cheers
Chowderific (Andy Morrisey)

ps. do those signs have to come out?

[This message has been edited by chowder (edited December 08, 2000).]

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 3:06 pm    Post subject: new hole locations Reply with quote

Jack,

The charter members are listed on the members
http://www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/members.html page on the ODGC web site. PROUF is listed as a founding sponsor organization. I suggest that when you reach Peter to give him the cheque for the two holes that PROUF has pledged for this year that you ask him to list you as a charter member in recognition of your organization's continuing financial support to the club.
He'll probably be cool to that.

Jack & Andy,

Contact P-mckinnon@home.com directly for specific info on charter membership in the club.

Andy,

Thanks for the $ and volunteerism pledges. They are certainly most welcome. As for the signs, they should have come out by now as Ottawinters won't be good for them. On the first warm day we should try to arrange something on the fly through Open Forum. We can put them in the Maison de Velo but only Peter has a key, so it will have to be based on his availability as well.

Peter,

I'll volunteer to take up the volunteer ranking position. I've already done some number crunching based on previous tournament results and best-ever results. I'll send something to stats-guru-KenL for some feedback before I post my ideas here on the forum.

P.S. I could have made this in three posts, but post-padding is both silly and a waste of bandwidth. I'm glad people aren't talking with such pride at their number of posts anymore.

[This message has been edited by Don Lane (edited December 08, 2000).]

Peter McK
Putter

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 3:55 pm    Post subject: new hole locations Reply with quote

Charter members will soon vote on a new membership structure: lifetime memberships $100.00; annual memberships $30.00. In exchange for this, you would not only earn the undying respect of your peers, you'd also get an ODCG disc, reduced fees at all ODGC-sponsored tourneys, a discount at CD exchange, and voting rights on ODCG issues (we usually hold one vote on a range of issues in the winter).

Original charter members would be offered a $100.00 rebate, but would be encouraged to donate it to the club. The refund would only be given after current financial commitments are met (i.e. don't even ask until we're playing 18 next spring).

As part of the ballot, we will also vote on appointing ODGC officers (you must supply your own shiny badge) with specific responsibilities - ie. groundskeeping, event co-ordination, etc.

I haven't asked founding sponsors (OCUA, PROUF) to vote on anything yet because a) they are collective organizations whose directors are generally ODGC charter members anyway and b) it never occurred to me.

This time round, I'll make it more formal and make sure to count ballots from PROUF and OCUA. May our vote go as smoothly as the one down south.

Now that I've let the cat out of the bag, I better get those ballots out.

As for the expansion plan, I'll hook up with Don Lane and try to find a way to get the new layout on the website so people can see it.

Finally, I'll take the signs out the next warm spell we get, and I'll just take them home - I had to hand in my maison key, as per the agreement with the city of Hull, which administers la maison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: