Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> NEW DISC GOLF SITE
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MCKINNON

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2000 10:03 am    Post subject: NEW DISC GOLF SITE Reply with quote

Thanks to Don Lane, we have a new site so update your links to www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/
The new layout is there, as well as some new graphics, including the fabulous image that Wah donated to the club (his company was hired by the NCC to do some stuff the the Future Trek event this summer, he donated the image to us for club use).
We're also looking to name all 12 holes. Suggestions, debate should take place here on Forum.

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2000 7:18 am    Post subject: NEW DISC GOLF SITE Reply with quote

Here are some suggestions for hole names... please post more suggestions and/or alternate names.

We also need some hole descriptions, written for people who have not yet played the course.

1. Noname (105 m / 344 ft)

2. Weed City (120 m / 394 ft)

3. The Disc Eater (68 m / 223 ft)

Best to be pin high, and curving right. Fairly narrow margin of error on this one. If you're long, you're in heavy woods. If you're right, you're in the river, and since the weeds can be over 1 metre high when you're ten metres from the hole, it's not good to be short either. Watch out for the wasp nests near the water.

4. The Tree Wall (84 m / 276 ft)

5. Line Drive (63 m / 207 ft)

6. Noname (108 m / 354 ft)

7. The Other Side (60 m / 197 ft)

8. Noname (56 m / 184 ft)

9. The Plateau (90 m / 295 ft)

10. The Big Tree (97 m / 318 ft)

11. Hidden Target (70 m / 230 ft)

12. Home Stretch (120 m / 394 ft)

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2000 9:54 am    Post subject: NEW DISC GOLF SITE Reply with quote

NEW E-MAIL ADDRESSES / BEST RESULTS AT COURSE

In order to get more info out to the people who are actually playing at our course, please take a look at the "members" page at the club web site and send me a few more e-mail addresses (or corrections/deletions) of players AND their best scores at the course.

http://www.geocities.com/ottawadiscgolf/members.html

~THANX~

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2000 9:18 pm    Post subject: NEW DISC GOLF SITE Reply with quote

I've been out to the course quite a bit lately in preparation for the Open, and I've heard a lot of suggestions for names of certain holes...

#3 "$15.99" (because that is how much it costs him every time he plays the hole and loses his disc in the water) - Jason Laurin

#10 "The G-Spot" (ask Roz for that explanation)

#3 "Roy G. Point" (due to the number of Roy's discs he has found out in the water) - Little Wheels

#4 "The Great Wall" - for the wall of trees that you have to get past in the style of your choosing

#9 "Hell's Plateau" - sounds more difficult than just "The Plateau".

Comments please...

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 9:10 am    Post subject: NEW DISC GOLF SITE Reply with quote

Okay, I haven't been out to the course much of late (hopefully be out there more soon), but here are my thoughts on hole names:

1. no name

2. I'm not fond of Weed City... while there is definitely some tall stuff down there, I think the primary feature of the hole is the high tee off... of course, I haven't got a better suggestion just yet...

3. There is definitely perile on this hole, and we all know it's the water... I'd pick a name which reflects that a little more... perhaps something as simple as "splash". Needs more thought.

4. I like The Great Wall... or even just "The Wall". Simple, imposing, descriptive.

5. Line Drive? Maybe. The Archway? The Tunnel?

6. Big dog-leg left, maybe Capt. Hook? (a little ball golf reference for you) I'm sure we can come up with something better.

7. The Other Side isn't too bad... with all those trees though, I'd think some forest reference would be appropriate.

8. Blind date? Blind luck? Blind something, anyway...

9. I like the Hell's addition to the Plateau suggestion... definitely more imposing. Could possibly use some sort of "step", or "doorstep" reference here as well... Hell's Doorstep? Needs more thought.

10. Well, it certainly is a big tree... but it would be good to use something a little flashier though... what kind of tree is it? maple? oak? I can't remember. Maybe we could work something with that, though.

11. Hidden Target is right... you sure the G-Spot suggestion wasn't for this one? wink

12. Home Stretch? Sure.

Basically, I think that names will naturally arise from play up to and including the open. I'm sure at the open we can have discussions and come up with some great names. Good to get the discussion started here though.

Cheers!

Ken

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2000 12:22 pm    Post subject: NEW DISC GOLF SITE Reply with quote

#1 - Line Drive
#2 – The Point or The Escarpment
I like the idea about describing the terrain for this hole. By far the most memorable part of this hole is the views.
#3 – The Watershed
#4 – The Great Wall
Good name, pretty much describes the hole.
#5 – The Canopy
#6 –
#7 –
#8 – The Orchard.
#9 – The Step or Hell’s Step
#10 – The Alley
#11 –
#12 – The Home Stretch

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2000 7:52 am    Post subject: NEW DISC GOLF SITE Reply with quote

Here are the latest suggestions. Please feel free to edit them... nothing is final.

We still need some well-written hole descriptions. Perhaps some of our sub-par golfers can come up with some wisdom for the rest of us.

1. Line Drive  (105 m / 344 ft)

2. The Point of No Return  (120 m / 394 ft)

3. Hydrophobia  (68 m / 223 ft)

Best to be pin high, and curving right.  Fairly narrow margin of error
    on this one.  If you're long, you're in heavy woods.  If you're
    right, you're in the river, and since the weeds can be over 1 metre high
    when you're ten metres from the hole, it's not good to be short
    either.  Watch out for the wasp nests near the water.

4. The Great Wall  (84 m / 276 ft)

5. The Canopy  (63 m / 207 ft)

6. Captain Hook  (108 m / 354 ft)

7. The Other Side  (60 m / 197 ft)

8. The Orchard  (56 m / 184 ft)

9. Hell's Plateau  (90 m / 295 ft)

10. The Alley  (97 m / 318 ft)

11. Hidden Target  (70 m / 230 ft)

12. Home Stretch  (120 m / 394 ft)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: