Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> First Round...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 10:00 am    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Well, I finally got out to play a round last night, and I must say, I quite like the new course layout... I think you did a great job on this Peter. We seem to have gotten the best of both worlds - more open drives off the tee, but also trickier holes with far more trees in play. 7,8,9 are awesome. And the rework of the other holes turned out quite well also. Although I will miss the old hole #2. The new one is similar, with more room to drive, but you're not as high up, and since you have to come left to right now, us righties can't just unload and watch the disc fly... we actually have to think a little!

Anyway, for the record, I shot a +5:

3 4 3 3 4 4 4 3 4 3 3 3

If I can learn to putt again, and stay out of the trees a little more often, I think I'll do a bit better... smile

cheers!

Ken

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 11:37 am    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

I agree with Ken, a big congrads goes to Peter McKinnon for redesigning the JCP course it is amazing. The best part of the redesign is the shortening of the holes. No longer will the golfer with the bigest arm rule on the course.

Steve

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 3:08 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Thank god, Steve... it was getting awfully lonely in here. smile Anyway, the course is certainly more forgiving now to the weaker throwers like yourself, Steve... wink

Cheers!

Ken

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 3:31 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Do I hear a challenge in the making? A little beer wager? maybe a bit of skins?

Somehow I just can't see a chump like you beating me. Just remember those mulligans are not allowed in a real game!

Steve

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 2:11 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Challenge? Bring it on, Steve... I've seen you in action, and the only "skin" you've got out on the course is the pasty white variety which flashes brilliantly in the sun as you splash about looking for the latest disc you've sent into the river... smile

On the more serious side, went out with MHJ on Friday, and while I botched my puts all night to a +6, watched Bones shoot a par round with relative ease... I think this course is going to make it a whole new ballgame when it comes time for the Open...

Mike Hall Jones
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 3:00 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

All I can say is....nice redesign, but wow...short course!

Every hole is probably aceable, with only 2 or 3 requiring a huge arm to have a hope of hearing chains from the tee.

Not to say that the course record will be minus 24 or anything, but luck now plays a signficantly higher factor than arm strength. Some interesting tee shots (yeah huge i/o blades!) are required and there are a lot more right to left holes than the old design.
I like the fact that there are now two ways to score...being fairly long but accurate off the tee for gimme birdies and being a good 40' putter to overcome drives that leave you outside gimme range. Players that have both will be down in the minus 5 to minus 8 ramge in no time!

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2000 5:58 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Hey lads,

Is this a personal grudge match skins game between a pasty white guy and a big arm bald guy or can others come in and take yo' money?

If so, what day and what time? Maybe we can get a bunch of us out there... Smile

Mike Hall Jones
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2000 9:52 am    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Hey Steve, what's your best round on the new course?
Lots of yapping, but no numbers.

Played my second round last night, no warmup, couple of windmills with an eagle in hand and then Crank!

4, 4, 3, 3, 3, 3, 2, 3, 3, 4, 2, 4 +2

And I don't understand what you mean about #9....how do you hit the side of the hill? I threw an eagle up there and hit the tree closest to the basket (slightly to the right and just short) about 20 feet up! A little luck (ie less wood) and it had lots of speed and was online for an ace. How do you come up so short?

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2000 2:43 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Hey, that reminds me... in that round with Mike, I had my closest ever chance for an Ace on #5. Arced it down the lane, brushed off a few leaves, and *CLANG*, right off the top rim of the basket - a solid hit. Ouch! Just curious as to how many of y'all have actually gotten an ace on the Ottawa course, old or new. I know MHJ has the one that some non-disc golfer witnessed on the old #3, but anyone else?

Ken

Seabrook
Big-Arm

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 10:16 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

My best round...+3

Ken I had the same shot on #5 about two weeks ago, rung it off the top rim. Struggling with my approach game so far this season but I can still beat a couple of beer swillin' disc golf wannabes.

#9. Mike you have one of the biggest arms on the course, all huck no accuracy! You just get lucky once in a while. I say pull out the Cheetah and aim to the right of the basket. Get over the rise and let the Cheater break left very late. Then its a 15'-20' putt. Got two birdies with that strategy.

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 1:36 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Don, If you happen to be reading this today, the 3 of us are meeting for a round at 5:15pm today (friday). If you can make it, we'd love to take your money... smile

Cheers!

Ken

Don Lane
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2000 5:42 pm    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Unfortunately for my wallet I read it on Sunday... too much lacrosse stuff this weekend, but our SAGM is over now. Wink

Suggest another day, and I'll try to make it. Ciao.

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2000 9:25 am    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

The results from Friday's showdown (although for some reason no money exchanged hands):

Name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 T +/-
----------------------------------------
Ken 3 3 3 3 2 3 2 3 3 4 3 4 36 0
MHJ 4 4 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 4 4 4 42 +6
Sea 4 4 4 3 3 3 3 2 3 6 3 4 42 +6

Skin K K K K S
1 1 3 2 1

So, overall skin total Ken 7, Seabrook 1, MHJ 0 (he was having a hard luck night), and 4 carried over. MHJ then had to leave, but met up with Jeff Meldrum and Roz and played another round. Since Jeff wasn't in on the original deal, I'll just count skins for Seabrook and I, especially since Jeff kicked both our asses *grin*:

Name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 1 2 T +/-
----------------------------------------
Ken 3 4 3 3 4 4 3 3 4 4 3 3 41 +5
Sea 6 3 3 2 2 3 3 3 3 3 3 4 38 +2
Jef 3 3 2 3 2 4 2 3 3 3 3 3 34 -2

Skin K S S S S S S K
5 1 2 1 1 3 1 2

Skin totals, Steve 9, Ken 7.

Overall

Ken 36 41 = 77 (+5) Skins 7 7 = 14
Sea 42 38 = 80 (+Cool Skins 1 9 = 10

As you can see, we both sucked. Jeff should have gotten in sooner... he could have cleaned up. smile

Cheers!

Ken

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2000 9:26 am    Post subject: First Round... Reply with quote

Okay, so the skins didn't line up under the holes... y'all are bright enough to figure out where skins were won anyway...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: