Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> 18 or more???
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 1998 3:25 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

This is a question for those of you entered in the Oct. 3 tournament... currently it's to be an 18 hole tournament, but some people have brought up the fact that 18 holes is not enough to accurately sort outthe best from the rest, and would prefer that it be a 36 hole tourney, or at least 27. Personally, I think it's a good idea, but I'd like to hear what the rest of you think...
barnaba

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 1998 12:55 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

I think 36 is a good number. At the very least 27. Personally, it takes me the first nine just to warm up my arm.

Cheers
Barney

Karen Lange
New Golfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 1998 1:27 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

I don't know how many beginners are entered in this tournament, but as one of them I'd have to say that 18 is plenty! My arm will be jello after that. Perhaps the women needn't play as many?
Stacey Nunes
New Golfer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 1998 3:41 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

Geez, after all that fighting for equality, wouldn't that be a step backward for the women's movement?? smile

If you were to say beginners could play fewer holes, I think you'd be on safer ground.

Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 1998 3:46 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

I've played a few PDGA events before. Mostly
they're 36 holes per day, sometimes 72 holes
over 2 days. The typical format is to randomly make up foursomes for the first 18,
tally up the scores (and take a break), then
send out the players for the final 18 in order of ascending score, with the final foursome being the top 4 players after 18.
(If people want to drop out after 18... )

Most of us come from an Ultimate background. Time-wise, 9 holes at JC takes about 40 min.
The whole thing is over in 2 hrs with 18.
Surely 36 holes (4 hrs max) won't challenge
the stamina of ultimate players? It will
however challange concentration and focus
over the long haul. A good nine or a bad nine coule be enough to win it or fall too far behind over only 18, but a consistent 36
to declare a winner is what it should take.

18 holes is a walk in the park, 36 is a real
tournament.

my 2c,
kd

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 1998 7:02 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

Well, looking at ultimate happenings, it looks as though Steve has come through and made a decision which seems reasonably fair - an opening round of 18 holes, and then the top 16 play another 18... Feels just like the PGA... Of course, now I have to worry about making the cut.... smile

Ken

rwg

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 1998 6:57 am    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

hmmm...I'd love to play more than 18. It seems that you need more than that to really chhose a winner. I would think that 2 rounds of 18 would be good. After the first round the bottom half or third or whatever could opt out if they feel that they're too far out to for it to be interesting.

Roy G.

SteveSeabrook

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 1998 9:02 am    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

I am trying to get everyone's viewpoint involved in the descision making process. Concerning the issue of 18, 27, or 36 holes... My biggest worry is whether people will want to play that many holes. I have played many times at the new course but only once have I played 18 holes. I hope that people will not get bored or tired after 18 holes. Most of us are ultimate players so getting tired should not be an excuse.

My estimate for the 36 holes is approximately 4 hours. First 18 holes will take 2 hours it will be a little slow since everyone will have to take a little more time waiting for the slow pokes. The second 18 will take less time, about 1.5 hours. Plus a short break at half time and 4 hours sounds reasonable. I figure we will be done between 2 and 3pm.

Ken Lange
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 1998 9:26 am    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

Personally I think it would be rather anticlimactic to only play 18 holes... two hours, and the whole tournament is over. I would think that maybe beginners would only want to play 18, or maybe some folks with time constraints, but they certainly don't have to play the second 18 if they don't want to... No one would be forced to play a second 18, but if there are enough who want to, I'd say why not?

Just my 2nd 2 cents smile

Ken

TOEJAM
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 1998 12:38 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

Jesus, what a penny ante gallery. In the last 'unoffical' golf tournament held in this city last year, we played 72 holes over one day. Twelve of us "slucked" it out over two of Ottawa's finest natural courses (played each course twice) Jack Purcell and Pratt's Design. Came down to a one stroke victory for Jack Webb over Dave Brown. Thrilling indeed. Let's seperate the Men from the poseurs and go for the high numbered rounds. Oh yeah!

rwg

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 1998 12:43 pm    Post subject: 18 or more??? Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I've only played "just 9" a couple of times. Generally I play 18 or 27. My wife does pretty much the same. In fact we played 45 last Saturday and another 18 on Sunday with no ill effects.

We are both ultimate players, but we also play with at least one non-ultimate person, and he doesn't suffer through 18 or more holes. I think fatigue may be a factor for only the absolute newest of the newbies.

Now time committment is a different story. To that I say this is a tournament. Commit the time and make a day of it.

Anyway, this is pretty much moot since Steve has posted the format. It seems like a pretty good set up. I just hope I make the top half so I can keep playing.

Roy G

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: