Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> New disc lie rule change!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
buttheadbourne
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: New disc lie rule change! Reply with quote

Pretty riveting stuff gentlemen!

https://www.pdga.com/new-official-rules-disc-golf-competition-manual-released-2018

TL;DR - you have a 20 by 30 cm area behind your marker to place your foot when you throw now

Last edited by buttheadbourne on Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Splash
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... starting January 1, 2018.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rule changes are BRILLIANT!

Frickin brilliant.

Quote:
Minor Rule Changes

If a throw does not change a player’s lie (for example, missing the island on an island hole), they throw again instead of waiting for others to throw.

There is no longer a re-throw after a stance violation. The throw counts.

There is no longer a warning for the first stance violation.

The five-meter limit on casual relief has been removed. You may go back along the line of play to the first available lie, however far that is.

A player may take free optional relief (back along the line of play) when placing the lie after taking a penalty for OB or above two meters.

A player may abandon a throw at the cost of one penalty throw (other penalties are not counted). Abandoned Throw replaces Optional Re-throw.

The mandatory rules have been clarified by limiting them to penalizing throws that pass the wrong side of the mandatory. The most important part is that the only line that matters is the one that extends to the incorrect side of the mandatory (two lines to the outside for a double mandatory).

A target for a hole other than the one being played is subject to the two-meter rule.

If an OB area has a drop zone, the TD may allow you to go directly there at the cost of two penalty throws (rather than trying to throw over an OB lake, for example).

You are guaranteed a lie up to one meter from all OB (handles OB lines that create a corner).

The rule for completing the hole has been simplified. Your disc must enter the target correctly and then be supported by the target.

Practice throw has been redefined.

A throw that travels less than 5 meters in the air to return a disc to a player or your bag is not a practice throw.

The consensual interference rule (formerly 804.03.G) has been removed.

Accidentally interfering with your own throw (for example, if your putt rolls back and hits you or your bag) incurs a one-throw penalty. As before, intentional interference with your own (or anyone else’s) throw incurs a two-throw penalty.

You can move a disc that has landed on or behind your lie.

A player who is not present to play a hole gets par plus four.

A player who starts on the wrong hole and/or in the wrong group receives a two-throw penalty.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

A player may take free optional relief (back along the line of play) when placing the lie after taking a penalty for OB or above two meters.

This one is my favourite.

But I appreciate this one more...

Quote:
A throw that travels less than 5 meters in the air to return a disc to a player or your bag is not a practice throw.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A target for a hole other than the one being played is subject to the two-meter rule.

I want the story for this rule.

Did someone's disc land on top of a high hanging basket and someone tried to put the 2m on them? Therefore, changing the rule to "hole OTHER than the one"?

What prick pulled that one out of their orifice?
buttheadbourne
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bbp wrote:
Quote:

Did someone's disc land on top of a high hanging basket and someone tried to put the 2m on them? Therefore, changing the rule to "hole OTHER than the one"?

Didn't you know that the number one thing that's wrong with disc golf are black aces on elevated/hanging baskets?!?!?
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

buttheadbourne wrote:
bbp wrote:
Quote:

Didn't you know that the number one thing that's wrong with disc golf are black aces on elevated/hanging baskets?!?!?

That's what I first thought, too, that the problem is landing On-Top-Of a black ace. But following a couple of conversations, I think it's someone tried to pin a 2m rule on someone landing On-Top-Of an elevated/hanging basket (think of Project15's hanging basket) that they are playing. High putt. Landed On-Top-Of-Basket. The prick in the group said it's 2m. If this was the case, great rule clarification.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost feel we need to have a party to celebrate these rule changes.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost all of them seem like an improvement. Love the new rule on stance violation. 2 to call, no 3 seconds, no warning, no rethrow, penalty
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Almost all of them seem like an improvement. Love the new rule on stance violation. 2 to call, no 3 seconds, no warning, no rethrow, penalty

big grin
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today another player putt near the basket (20 feet). Hit the chastity belt, rolled down and hit my bag. If it was 2018 I think it would have been a penalty for me. It was a weird bounce.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Today another player putt near the basket (20 feet). Hit the chastity belt, rolled down and hit my bag. If it was 2018 I think it would have been a penalty for me. It was a weird bounce.

Na, I think you're fine. New rules state it would only be a penalty stroke if it was your throw, and your bag.

You would have to "intentionally interfere" to incur a two stroke penalty.

Another smart rule.
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: