Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations -> Gotta Play Them All
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kraze
New Golfer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 9:29 am    Post subject: Gotta Play Them All Reply with quote

Hey fellow Discers
In our efforts to play most if not all the courses in Ontario I am reaching out the Ottawa Forum members to help us with this extremely fun and challenging adventure.
We have reviewed the following sites
Disc golf Ontario, PDGA course directory, Disc golf course review and Disc golf scene to make our list of to be played
Based on those web sites the count is at 28 left but I think some of them no longer exist or are temp courses.
We are planning a weekend trip this month and look forward to any and all feedback on the courses
1. Are they open?
2. Hours available
3. Any fees?
4. Are there tees signs missing, nothing kills a round more than wandering around looking for tees and pins
5. Any Maps ( got some of this site, some links not working)
6. Any courses I have missed
In the Ottawa area we have yet to play
Camp Fortune
Camp Fortune Ace
Ettyville, Private course and we need to contact John Pytel on this site,
Heritage Collage
Kanata (I played like 3 holes 10-15 years ago)
Orleans (are all the baskets back in the ground?)
Mountain Disc Golf
The Spa in Bourget, might be a separate weekend for this one more of a relax that a golf act

Cheers
Very Happy Very Happy
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The courses you should try to play are:

Mountain - Contact Dan Philips
Kanata
CF
CF-Ace - there is a small charge that you pay at the Aerial Park hut
Ettyville - Depends when course is open. Talk to John Pytel
Shire - contact Rob Wormald

There isn't much to see at the college - open tonal course
No course in Orleans at Gardenway
briggs
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on your timing, I can possibly give you the guided tour of Fortune. I live about ten minutes away.
Kraze
New Golfer

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback Thumber and Briggs
I sent a PM to Dan and John, but couldn't find John Wormald, maybe has a user name?
Tone poles no issue, until you miss 4 times in a row, "Sounds" like Bowmanville all over again

No course at Orleans? Darn hate when we miss one
The plan is to visit the area of the May long weekend
Cheers
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob Wormald

rob@ultimatediscgolfstore.ca
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kraze wrote:

No course at Orleans? Darn hate when we miss one

There is a course there, at least there was at the end of last season. The city removes the baskets for the winter, not sure if they have installed them yet this year.

One of our members, Kyle, installed stone markers for tee pads a couple of years ago, there is a map somewhere. The problem with this course is that it circles a couple of soccer fields that are located in the bottom of a bowl. If there is any soccer going on, the course is essentially unplayable as parents sit on the hill sides. It was one of the schools adjacent to this park that installed this course, hence its location.

I or someone else will get you confirmation if this course will be in the ground prior to your visit.
Kraze
New Golfer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:43 pm    Post subject: Gotta Play Them All Reply with quote

We would like to thank all that helped us with this past weekend's road trip.

Great people with great courses. It was nice to meet up with some of you as we played the courses and others we have touched base with about the courses yet to be installed this year.
As the season moves on we will be back in the Ottawa area to play those not yet in the ground and replay others as it was so much fun.
I wrote up about our adventure on the Disc Golf Ontario forum but added it to the members only link Shocked
I will attempt to copy and paste it here
Cheers
Kraze
New Golfer

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After an "Emergency" wink Vacation trip to Cuba the first week of April our May long weekend plans changed as the vacation fund was lower. We purchased a camper van last year and decided to tour around and check out all the courses we haven't played yet in Ontario.

Now begins the Gotta Play Them All Tour

This would be an eastern Ontario trip so we contacted some places in the Ottawa area ahead of time and packed up "Jenny" and went Road Trekking

Day One Friday

Belleville has two nine hole courses, Bayside School and Loyalist College played them both and checked them off the list and headed to Kingston Rideau Acres to play and camp for the night.

Day Two Saturday

Made arrangements with Dan Phillips and played his 15 hole back yard course in Mountain On, course is still a work in progress but playable if you in the right frame of mind. Meet some awesome people there who along with Dan took us on a personal round to show us the way. Really looking forward to a return trip down the road when the back section has been finalized and the rough edges groomed. Dan hooked us up with another course not listed on any of the sites I have reviewed, down at South Mountain Park. It only has five holes and the map board been vandalized/missing but no issue on something this small, just made up our own tees and checked off another course. We then headed to Ottawa to play Kanata and park at a nearby campsite for the night.

Day Three Sunday

Another prearrangement and played The Shier in Rob Wormald's back yard, another great guy with awesome family who allowed us to play and visit. It was was pretty cool to spend time chatting up Disc Golf Stories and discussing old camper vans. From here we head South to Grenville Campground to play a small 5 hole course in the front yard of the park. They gave us a score card and didn't charge a green fee, but I think they were confused about the fee. It is on the list so we played, but I wouldn't suggest going out of your way, it's small has short and long tees on four of the five. The roman numerals on the top of the baskets don't always match the tee signs and on this weekend there were dogs tied to Hole #4 tee sign which forced us to make a new tee.

The forecast for Monday was thunder storms and heavy rain so we rebooked Kingston for Sunday night and played a couple of rounds that afternoon/night.

Day Four Monday

The homeward bound trip, with the rain holding off we were able to hit Belleville Bayside again as the first round I played with only a chipper and a putter thinking it was a pitch and putt. The course has some longer holes and with the stronger wind that day made it much more interesting. Another stop in Bowmanville to play the 12 hole tone poles was fun and a great way to stretch our legs. Both stops on this day were already played courses but great to revisit.

A very successful weekend in meeting new people, traveling around Ontario and adding to our course resume 8 new courses played. As per our spreadsheet our Ontario grand total is at 45 played.

The Tour Continues...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: