Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Disc Golf Equal to Ball Golf
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:16 am    Post subject: Disc Golf Equal to Ball Golf Reply with quote

http://kykernel.com/2014/04/30/disc-golf-equal-to-ball-golf/

Quote:
The biggest flaw with ball golf lies in ball golfers.

Their arrogance is matched only by their ignorance of a game they will never understand, disc golf.

I should make it clear that when I use the term “ball golf” I am referring to traditional golf.

I use this term mostly to upset ball golfers, but also to emphasize the similarity and equality of the two sports.

Among the disc golf community, criticism from rich people in weird-looking shorts and tucked-in polo shirts is expected.

They say that ball golf is more difficult, that it requires more practice and thought. This untrue, uninformed and egotistical school of thought is all too common among ball golfers.

While ball golf is a tremendously difficult game that requires a lot of time and dedication to reach a competitive level of skill, the same is true of disc golf.

It takes years to become competitive at disc golf, and only a tiny fraction of disc golfers could ever hold up against professionals like Paul McBeth or Nate Doss.

I take the position that ball golf and disc golf are equally difficult and require equal amounts of practice to master the game.

The reason that disc golf is better has nothing to do with the sport itself, but with money and culture.

Disc golf is the poor man’s golf. Not only are balls and clubs expensive for my misinformed friends in the ball golf community, just getting to use the courses can be pricey. In Lexington, $25 seems to be the average price for an 18-hole round of ball golf.

And how much does it cost to use a disc golf course? Absolutely nothing.

Another perk–there are no dress codes.

The arrogance and high-and-mighty attitude of ball golfers can be seen in their dress codes and heard in their criticism of disc golf.

The majority of them have never even played disc golf and I would love to take them out on the course to see how they hold up.

I’d like to see how long it would take them to be able to send a driver 300 feet down the fairway and I’d like to count how many discs they lose in the woods.

Maybe it’s not the ball golfers’ fault that they’ve been blinded from the truth by tradition and egotism. Maybe they grew up in families where ball golf was seen as a gateway to manhood and where straying from the fairways of the ball golf course led you only to less prestigious forms of the same game.

One day, I believe, ball golfers will take off their overpriced sunglasses and see disc golf for what it really is — a different but equally intellectually stimulating version of the same game.

Will Wright is the assistant news editor for the Kernel.

opinions@kykernel.com.

Last edited by bbp on Thu May 01, 2014 8:37 am; edited 1 time in total
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://kykernel.com/2014/04/30/golf-is-superior-to-disc-golf/

Quote:
Golf is superior to disc golf

Golf is the hardest sport in the world to master. It takes more practice, more discipline and more mental fortitude than any other sport.

Still, some believe it isn’t even a sport. Well, to those people, I have to think disc golf is even less of one.

I enjoy disc golf. It’s a perfectly adequate recreational activity on a nice day in the park. But it isn’t on the same level as “traditional” golf.

Golf has legends. It has Bobby Jones, Sam Snead, Ben Hogan, Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Tiger Woods. And it has historic venues like Augusta National, Pebble Beach, St. Andrews and TPC Sawgrass.

Disc golf has that one trail in the woods behind the sand volleyball court at your local park.

And even if you disregard that, golf is incredibly more complex. It requires years of repetition and discipline to groove a consistent swing.

And it is by far the toughest mental test, more so than any other sport. Golf can be so frustrating, yet so rewarding. It takes so much continual concentration that any lapse can turn a day on the course into a nightmare.

It’s such a difficult mental test that many players crumble and collapse when it matters most. Grantland Rice, one of the most famous sportswriters in history, said it best – “Eighteen holes of match play or medal play will teach you more about your foe than will 18 years of living with him across a desk,” Rice wrote.

Disc golf is a relaxing day with a Frisbee. Golf can start relaxing, and then beat you up for four hours.

To some, it is still thought of as a sport for old, fat men. And sure, fat men and old men alike can enjoy a nice day on the links. But it takes a good deal of fitness to be great. You need flexibility and strength to be powerful and consistent.

For me, this isn’t even a valid argument. Golf has history, icons and prestige. It has professional tours to enjoy and a TV network devoted to it.

Disc golf doesn’t.

Golf is the hardest sport in the world to play at a professional level. It requires so much practice and skill that the difference between an amateur and a pro is a larger divide than in any other sport.

If anyone goes out to play disc golf tomorrow, they can do something pretty regularly that the best player in the world does just as often.

That doesn’t happen on the golf course.

I have spent much more time on the golf course in my lifetime than on the disc golf “course.” That could draw out some bias toward one over the other.

But I doubt I’m alone in this argument. Golf is one of the hardest sports in the world, and the desire to improve causes millions to spend thousands of dollars, and hours, in that pursuit.

Disc golf isn’t the hardest sport at the park.

I’ll take the little white ball over the Frisbee.

David Schuh is a managing editor at the Kernel.

opinions@kykernel.com
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting subject, was provoked to look up some data...

according to the USGA, among men players, 0.13% play at scratch level.

looking at pdga membership, there are around 66120 pdga numbers, and current rankings show 108 men with scratch handicaps. There are 8% women players, none of whom play at scratch. So, for men players, this works out to 0.18% at scratch level.

anyhow, what this shows, is that at least by how the governing organizations have defined what constitutes scratch golf, both sports are at similar levels of difficulty in an absolute sense. Statistics of course, are subject to spin and manipulation, so if you want to compare the 0.13% to 0.18%, you can also say that it's about 40% easier to reach a scratch level in disc golf compared to ball golf....

I've played a fair amount of ball golf. My personal opinion is that ball golf is harder to master, and harder to play consistently.
TheKid
Driver

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 10:49 am    Post subject: Ball Golf Reply with quote

I am a ball golfer. I equally share a love for many sports, including but not limited to Ball Golf, Soccer, Hockey, Football, Tennis, Basketball, Baseball, and I've even gone bowling once in a while.

One thing I must comment on is that 'ball golfer's' such as myself, had never even heard of Disc Golf. Much of my friends who ball golf has seen pictures of Disc Golf on my Facebook and have requested I show them the sport.

This doesn't mean all ball golfers are indecent people with their heads up their you know what, in fact the sport of Disc Golf would entice many ball golfers to give it a try, if only they knew it existed....

Shame to see so many ball golf courses and so little Disc Golf courses in around the Ottawa Area. I would love to see a course set up around Carleton Place High School, or the Beckwith area.

My opinion, Disc Golf community is the best group of people I have seen. You guys are all so helpful towards learning the sport, teaching me things I would only gain through being taught.

A few notable mentions while I am on that topic, I would like to thank the following people for their efforts;

First off, Alex Wierdsma, my old roomie introduced me and I've been hooked ever since. What a role model he has been for performing at a skilled level with minimal experience. Your a monster buddy!

Andros, you took me under your wing and were always so pleasant to play with, or be around at the Shire. You coined a nick name for me, you taught me plenty about how your body should be placed to throw the perfect shots!

C-Kyle, your a character, we all know that, but your hard ass ways just mask what a teddy bear you really are. You would never have been so hard on me if you didn't see the potential. You'll be kicking yourself when I'm nippin' at your heels!

Ken Little, you don't know it, but your Orange Firebird handed down from A.Weirdo to myself has helped me along the way, clinched 3rd place at Screaming Heads using that disc ALOT! Kudos to you!

Pytel, the experience I had at Screaming Heads was a big part of your doing! You are the MAN!!!! What a memorable weekend I had with the goons, you know who you are! Brigg's your assistance was crucial that weekend for a 'good time' wink

Twirly, your home has now been made my home course. Everything you do for Disc Golf is amazing. Words could not describe how I feel about the experience I had at Team Kup last year, plus THATS HOW YOU GET TWO POINTS!!! oh and anybody, GIN BAR!!!

And OMR, Old Man, River, Jeff... What do I say about this guy.... your the bomb bro. Absolute stud. Need I say more...

Thumber for your thumbs, Penton and your putts, everyone else, you guys are awesome!

*tear*

That is all, cheers to beers and Disc Golf!
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The kids is not giving us much reason to not like him when he kicks our ass. Damn it!!!

Glad you're enjoying it Chris. Love to see more disc golfers and courses too.

Love to see it grow into a "commercial sport" as opposed to "100% payout" played in public parks that it primarily is today. That's a whole other conversation though.

See you soon on a course. Motocross has us swamped right now and we're gone racing the next 4 weekends. Ettvyille should be playable anyday folks. Stay tuned for updates.
kenmlittle
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Firebird is a signature edition disc of choice. Lots of those floating around.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: