Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations -> RCP McFish Layout - IL 2014
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: RCP McFish Layout - IL 2014 Reply with quote

What a great park for DG. Perfect terrain with fantastic trees.

Hole 1 - Great hole. The only true par 4 on the course. Near perfect par 4, too.
Hole 2 - Nice road fairway. I would say it's a par 3.5 in the winter. Not many 2s, but I would guess a couple of 4s happened.
Hole 3 - Another great use of the road for a fairway (yeah snow!). Did anyone score a 2 on it? Seems to play an easy 3 in the winter (I can see the line and possibilities for a summer shot at it) but a 2 is a lot to ask. I could see a 4 happening if you're off the road. Left and right sucked.
Hole 4 - Loved this hole. Especially after the last 3. Forced me to annie (Clausie still flicked). Love holes that have that slight elevation change and the right turn was really nice. We found it a tough green all day.
Hole 5 - Brilliant hole. Saw the "regular" target tape, but I think the IL green was better as it wasn't just a huge chuck and fall left. Did anyone 2 it? Ben and I were on the green both rounds, and we wasted 2 mullies on our putts, but left with a 3 both times.
Hole 6 - Par 3.5. Can't see many 2s on this, even in the summer months, but the road fairway had some serious nastiness to deal with on the edges. Loved it. Tough ups all day.
Hole 7 - Very fun hole. Nasty, nasty green. Perfect distance.
Hole 8 - One day I'll solve this one. So short, but yet so far. Great green.
Hole 9 - Someone needs to talk to the maintenance crew about this one. laughing I bet it looks a lot different in the summer when you're 6-12 inches lower. Great green. Nice gap to hit too (left and right).

No idea what a winning score would be as those 3.5s (2, 3, and 6) could go many ways and the birdiable holes where not gimmies. Loved hole 1.

A must make in IL2015.

Impeccable flow. Big fan of visiting HQ several times during a round. Great use of the terrain. Well thought out greens. Thanks Crew McFish.
Fisher
ODGC Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Geoff for your input. As this was the first time in this park I can see it improving every year. Because there is so much space and obstacles out there I would like to push this design to less par 3's and more par 5's. With 12 mullies and a partner I don't see why we can't make this a really tough layout without the 700 foot long holes. If there was a hole where no 2's and no 4's were scored I would move the basket next year.

These are only my thoughts as this was designed by two people.
Hole 1 tee pad is usually further back. (Object is stop sign)
Hole 2 is good but I would like to find another way to create flow to hole 4.
Hole 3 is only there so we can play hole 4.
Hole 4 is perfect in every way. If you saw the two "V" taped trees, the object is to through between targets, below tape.
Hole 5 is not long enough and too straight. Not many 2's but if there were no 4's I would want to move the basket.
Hole 6 I like as you all saw the taped target.
Hole 7 usually runs up the hill to the left of the basket. A good approach, then an excellent approach for a drop in 3. I like the basket placement this weekend but I 2'd it both rounds.
Hole 8 I liked. Even better than the object. It is possible to move the tee pad 100 feet back and make it a par 4 as I like holes where the first shot is only a set-up for the one that counts. But, I really liked this hole as it is.
Hole 9 I really liked. I like gaps. I like elevation. I like parking my disc on a hole that is not a gimme.

We mostly stuck to open fairways but there are a few wooded holes that did not make the cut.
surge
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a 2 on 5 the putt was gold. I just can't sink anything closer than 30 feet mad
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought hole 5 (which was the downhill one right?) was great. The pin placement made it so lots of shots faded out and got caught up in that cedar bunker. If it was longer you would end up with a bunch on 100 foot approach shots, which are not a golf shot.

I saw where the light post was taped, which I guess is the object target). IMO, that would have been a much easier hole as I could just launch a destroyer or some other stable driver out hard down the hill and let the natural fade carry it to the object.

As it was, I tried a thumber, which ended up in the bunker, and 2nd time i threw a leopard which was even with Kyle's CTP. Very tricky and technical hole

Lots of good holes on that layout. Way better terrain than where we used to play at that park

Hole 1 was my favorite of the day. Perfect length and well designed par 4. An almost impossible 2, but a 3 was makeable with decent driving and approach. Very cool
bbp
King Geoffrey

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hole 5 was a great hole. Blew by it the first round and pansied out the second. Straight shots are hard. Why make it easier?
Fisher
ODGC Secretary

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, hole 5 was good because as we were all waiting for the rounds to start we each tried this shot and it was fully visible from the HQ. And it made for a good CTP hole. Lots of land out there that was never touched. Perhaps next year if the snow is later in the year we could try a 12 hole layout in November. With less snow we would blow through this layout. I am really glad you guys had a good time. The view from HQ would impress you all at night, as I know how fond you all are of pretty lights.
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:27 pm    Post subject: ice league scores Jan 18, 2014 Reply with quote

Hole 1
3 - 8
4 - 9
5 - 1

Hole 2
2 - 1
3 - 13
4 - 4

Hole 3
2 - 1
3 - 17

Hole 4
3 - 14
4 - 4

Hole 5
2 - 1
3 - 17

Hole 6
3 - 12
4 - 6

Hole 7
2 - 13
3 - 5

Hole 8
2 - 7
3 - 11

Hole 9
2 - 10
3 - 8

If you shot the best score at each hole (both rounds), you would have shot a 42.

Last edited by Mike McCormick on Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2s on hole 6? That's got to be a typo.
Mike McCormick
Guru of Gab

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
2s on hole 6? That's got to be a typo.

You are correct, fixed.
andros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool stats.

I thought my 2 on hole 3 was impressive, who got the 2 on hole 2?
andros

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:

Just checked the scorecards I sent you on my phone.

Jamie and Cyle with a 2 on 2. Nice work fellas.
C-Kyle
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
andros wrote:

Just checked the scorecards I sent you on my phone.

Jamie and Cyle with a 2 on 2. Nice work fellas.

Had a putt from 15 ft for 2 on 2 the second round as well....damn trees got in the way
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Course Conversations All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: