Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events -> QDGT Finals - Granby Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
...and if Pepsi sponsors the tour, I'm still not drinking Pepsi. laughing

lol.

but what if you are also the Pepsi rep?
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

lol.

Now you're just talking silly talk.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
John Pytel wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

lol.

Now you're just talking silly talk.

When don't I talke silly?
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PDGA needs to work on making themselves relevant in the Belle Province.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

I think what Peter has done is great.

Some additional observations.

Peter is/was the Quebec PDGA Rep.

He was able to get a sponsorship for a "non conforming" tour format from the PDGA geared towards growth. Appears to have worked fantastically.

That growth model, to be clear, is to grow the player base.

As a private course owner, I had to pass on that model as it would not be financially viable to a place with expenses.

So who's ahead? Do they have more PDGA members? Not yet. Will we? Probably, if you can run a sucessfull PDGA event which has been a tough go East of the 400.

After 6 years of developing a course and being on all sorts of commitees and knowing major PDGA Canada players I've yet to be contact in any effort of support. It strikes me as a bit odd but odd is the norm at times.

Last edited by John Pytel on Thu Oct 03, 2013 1:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why wait to be contacted? Why not connect with them?
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Why wait to be contacted? Why not connect with them?

Good point, although "up until this year" their methods appeared pretty prescribed.

I will note that it's still 100% payout on the QDGT after the $10 fee off the top. It's not all out of wack other then the PDGA got not fee's for 9 of the 10 events.

Would be great to get some additional support from the PDGA in Eastern Ontario as well. That's additional support for everyone and not specifically me to be clear.

I think one of the oldest and biggest clubs and several of the best courses are in the area.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:
I will note that it's still 100% payout on the QDGT after the $10 fee off the top. It's not all out of wack other then the PDGA got not fee's for 9 of the 10 events.

Then it's not 100%. laughing
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
John Pytel wrote:

lol. ok. It's your typical 100% PDGA payout then.

after tax.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
John Pytel wrote:

after tax.

100% PDGA payout is actually expected to be 100% payout. The PDGA fees are expected to be funded from somewhere else other than registration fees when the term "100% payout" is used.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
John Pytel wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
John Pytel wrote:

after tax.

100% PDGA payout is actually expected to be 100% payout. The PDGA fees are expected to be funded from somewhere else other than registration fees when the term "100% payout" is used.

The extra $10 for a temp PDGA membership should not be considered part of the registration fee. It is over and above I believe
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Here's hopeing they don't have the 2m rule in. All the other rules surrounding it is just to frustrating to work with.

According to that players meeting it is in effect.

No 2m.
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
andros wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Here's hopeing they don't have the 2m rule in. All the other rules surrounding it is just to frustrating to work with.

According to that players meeting it is in effect.

No 2m.

Sweet.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

C.T.PETE
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The QDGT Dog and Pony show will be heading up friday to set the course up...trim a few branches and mark OB's. There is a swank motel right across the street...looks affordable and adventuresome. This to say that the course will be available friday afternoon and at day-break Saturday.

The purpose is also to give Denis ( the owner ) a crash course on cooking hotdogs... so far, in the past events we've gone easy on him with only courtesy violations...I want him to produce A-Tier hot-dogs or he will risk disqualification this time......QDGT rules apply. Many players bring their own lunches. Beer is sold on site....no outside beer please.

Thanks for posting the players meeting on the forum....a few small additions may be inserted Oct. 10th , but most is there, and more info is on the tournament site main page. https://sites.google.com/site/interdiscgolf/home/english/tournaments
The 2 meter rule is now not in effect.

Believe me this course is as straight forward as they come.

Sustainable controversy is important to us, we ( actually me, who doesn't like ghost holes) have added a ghost hole and a game/prize hole to allow 10 more players entry. The 1st 10 on the waiting list will be entered into the event for a total of 70 players. What I've seen happening is that we have never had this situation of sell-outs and many regular players have never had to keep on eye on registering so early. We want to end the season on a positive note...you know....that vibe thing. Next year we will definitely advise players of the risk of capacity.

During the off season we will search for solutions to better accommodate the situation that has brought us 5 capacity tournaments in the 2013 series and move forward from there.

Just the same , we expect this event to run on schedule with a speedy registration and lunch and the double prize ceremony.

Your patience and presence is most appreciated...see you's soon.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was awesome.

The Players Meeting is a fun read too.

"Sustainable controversy is important to us..." That's funny stuff.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

The Players Meeting is a fun read too.

Some tidbits:

Hole 7: ...Lefties smile when they get to the pad as do sidearm executioners . Can you throw a putter than turns and holds.....try it out. If you start to laugh when someone in your group lands on the green, politely turn away and conceal your emotions.

Hole 8: ...Your bag is full of extra long distance drivers, let it rip....but if you bragged about your 400 feet drives during the players meeting, your reputation is at stake. Have your list of excuses ready...just in case. Big air, the boss, the katana and the like were designed for this hole...many player take advantage of this hole to meet other players in other groups on other fairways.
C.T.PETE
Tonal Pole

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

I think what Peter has done is great.

Some additional observations.

Peter is/was the Quebec PDGA Rep.

He was able to get a sponsorship for a "non conforming" tour format from the PDGA geared towards growth. Appears to have worked fantastically.

That growth model, to be clear, is to grow the player base.

As a private course owner, I had to pass on that model as it would not be financially viable to a place with expenses.

So who's ahead? Do they have more PDGA members? Not yet. Will we? Probably, if you can run a sucessfull PDGA event which has been a tough go East of the 400.

After 6 years of developing a course and being on all sorts of commitees and knowing major PDGA Canada players I've yet to be contact in any effort of support. It strikes me as a bit odd but odd is the norm at times.

Just for the sake of clarity....Pat Huot as of September 1st 2013, is the new provincial rep for the PDGA in Quebec and yes, I was the rep for the last 4 or 5 years. The QDGT didn't request nor did it receive any sponsorship from the PDGA for this event or for the series. The logo appears because our finals are a c-tier event and one could also say that it appeared all season long simply as a cast in the pond to gauge interest in the organization.

PDGA Canada did sponsor 2 baskets for 2 course development projects in Quebec and we are all grateful for that. PDGA Canada has been very communicative and provided us with all the needed materials to apply for sponsorship for events. I preferred leave that sponsorship opportunity to others who may want to establish a sanctioned event....there was chatter but nothing evolved beyond that this year.

On a personal note, I was asked to become the rep. a few years back and at the time I made it clear that I would be working on course development and establishing a provincial networking base which in my view were the most important steps needed to be taken in order to garner disc golf opportunities ....basically , just get us on the map and support planting and planted seeds not push for membership...but offer exposure.

I have been a member of the PDGA for many years because I like to support almost anything ' Disc Golf ' ,and I value their contributions in setting certain standards, the added exposure and the worldwide networking disc golf receives from them , and their work in developing the rules of play. This said, accepting the position of rep. was a little awkward as I have never really subscribed to the organization beyond that, I am not an evangelical member, just supportive. I've TD'ed C-Tier and B-Tier events because there was a demand not because I felt it was important beyond that

Although I felt that running sanctioned events would stunt registration due to the added costs in a developing market, I ran a couple a few years back here in Qc. because I felt a sense of responsibility beyond my personnel interests in taking the position. It was always clear that I would step aside as soon as someone showed interest in going beyond what I was prepared to initiate with regards to the PDGA. This has happened now.

With regards to the QDGT, I advised and fought against the series being sanctioned as well as the finals. The long story short, it's more important to have others who are willing to contribute and work towards their ideas get and feel involved than to ' get your way' when growing a DG community. So, the Finals became sanctioned.

It was a successful year for the QDGT and we have many challenges on our plate for next year. The biggest challenge is to keep this series what it is...a developmental series. Growth always puts pressure on a simple series to become what they aren't. To the experienced players, a developmental series may seem boring and ideas on how to make it bigger and better are constantly being advanced...it's almost inherent. I strive to keep it what it is, simple to understand, simple to partake in for players and organizers, and through this simplicity it is designed to withstand lean years of volunteerism, club arguments and the inevitable fractions that will form and appear from time to time. Through these interruptions the series will still be able to function and introduce new players to the sport, some who may well one day run the hypothetical ' Ultimate Pro Series' or the ' Barnyard Blast Series '.

My belief right now is that the exposure of this series has brought us many new players and formed solid new bridges between several existing DG communities....enough to initiate a new series, even if it's small at it's inception....say 4 events, small series but solid. I think the timing is right. It just takes a will and a team to get it off the ground. The series that I envision would be a 4 event series that would include Camp fortune, Ettyville, and 2 in the Montreal area. They could encompass existing events and take it from there. I won't speak for other clubs or organizers and owners nor other QDGT coordinators but I would move the larger MTL based QDGT events into this series. This would allow the events to escape the somewhat stringent QDGT series standards and discover their potential be they sanctioned or not....or maybe there is a will for the O.D tour style series. I agree that sanctioned events would attract competitive outside interest if that becomes a goal.

There is an opportunity right now and if there is a will it should be taken advantage of.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.T.PETE wrote:
To the experienced players, a developmental series may seem boring...

Personally, I've really enjoyed the simplicity of the QDGT. I show up. I play DG. I know the price of every event. I know they start early and finish quickly. I go home happy and make it in time for bedtime.

I have met good people on the Tour and we have all had the same outlook on the events; they're about competitive disc golf. There's no attached party, there's no players' pack, no music. Just golf. And it's been good golf and great times. Many, many smiles, and it's cost me $35/event. Best deal outside of ODGC events.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'm just blown away with the success you're having in Quebec. A great part of that is this series and the passion from the people taking up the sport. Many courses in the area. Events selling out? Can't remember the last time anything like that's been happening if ever in our region.

Simplicity or consistency and a good schedule are all what make it work.

Interesting you see a series that's been proposed several times. I know unfortunately where that buck stopped and now "WE" admire and participate in what you have and appear surprised when scheduling doesn't go our way. Hot dog slipping out of bun into the sand. smile

I'm sure the PDGA has to be happy with the development in Quebec and as much as you call it development it's a format I wish we'd see more of. Reasonable entry fee, No players packs, and 100% payout after green fee and admin fee's. Clear and transparent.

Pat has his work cut out for him, but also is very lucky to take something over in such great shape. I hope he buys you a double pack at Granby. 2 dogs and 2 beers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Other Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: