Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> 804.03 Interference - (2013) Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: 804.03 Interference - (2013) Reply with quote

Quote:
804.03 Interference
A. A thrown disc that strikes a person or animal is played where it first comes to rest.

B. A thrown disc that is intentionally deflected or was caught and moved shall be given an approximate position at the point of contact.

C. A thrown disc at rest that has been moved shall be replaced to its approximate position (see 802.02.E). A marker disc at rest that has been moved shall be replaced to mark the approximate lie (see 802.03.F).

D. A player who intentionally interferes with another player's disc in any of the following ways shall receive two penalty throws:
1. Altering the course of a thrown disc (other than to prevent injury); or,
2. Moving a thrown disc or mini marker disc (other than in the process of identification, retrieval, or marking); or,
3. Obscuring a thrown disc or mini marker disc.

E. A player whose thrown disc was intentionally interfered with by another player as described in 804.03.D.1 has the option of a re-throw.

F. Players shall not stand or leave their equipment where interference with a disc in play may occur. A player may require other players to move themselves or their equipment if either could interfere with the throw. Refusal to do so is a courtesy violation.

G. Altering the course of a thrown disc with the consent of the thrower in order to prevent the disc from becoming lost is not punishable interference. Any disc whose course is altered for that reason is considered to be a lost disc.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
G. Altering the course of a thrown disc with the consent of the thrower in order to prevent the disc from becoming lost is not punishable interference. Any disc whose course is altered for that reason is considered to be a lost disc.

OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and your point is...?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:
...and your point is...?

It's a new rule.
C-Kyle
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

R u certain...I already thought that was a rule
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

C-Kyle wrote:
R u certain...I already thought that was a rule

Yes I amcertain
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh., good rule.

Last edited by OMR on Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:

So the person who alters the flight of the disc on purpose with the consent of the thrower receives no punishment? Is this what I understand?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:

So the person who alters the flight of the disc on purpose with the consent of the thrower receives no punishment? Is this what I understand?

Say your disc is rolling down a hill towards a pond and i am standing there. I can stop it from rolling into the pond for you without being penalized as long as you consent. Under the old rules I would have been penalized for interference even if you asked me to stop the disc. Its a common sense rule
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:

That's what I understand. I guess you could also do it to be nice, without permission from the thrower.

I don't like this rule from a competitive format. We've had a discussion about this before, where a player could play goalie for another about to go in the drink. There's a whole different feel to a throw when you could actually lose your disc, as opposed to just getting the OB+1 penalty.

This part of the rule is new this year.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

Say your disc is rolling down a hill towards a pond and i am standing there. I can stop it from rolling into the pond for you without being penalized as long as you consent. Under the old rules I would have been penalized for interference even if you asked me to stop the disc. Its a common sense rule

Now this is where it gets fun.

Quote:
A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen. Any player in the group or an official may begin the timing of the three minutes, and must inform the group that the timing has begun. All players in the group must assist in searching for the disc. The disc shall be declared lost upon expiration of the three minutes.

Having the disc go in the pond doesn't mean it would have been lost. Though, the punishment for a lost disc could be more than an OB disc. Though, the water would have to be OB.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

That's what I understand. I guess you could also do it to be nice, without permission from the thrower.

I don't like this rule from a competitive format. We've had a discussion about this before, where a player could play goalie for another about to go in the drink. There's a whole different feel to a throw when you could actually lose your disc, as opposed to just getting the OB+1 penalty.

I don't know, rule clearly states you must have consent....

I think this is a stupid idea. Rule has so much potential for abuse and unfair play its silly. What the hell is going on over there at PDGA?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

I think this is a stupid idea. Rule has so much potential for abuse and unfair play its silly. What the hell is going on over there at PDGA?

How is this ripe for abuse? The old rule was stupid in that I had to stand there and let your disc roll down a ravine and out of bounds or I would be penalized.

All I have to do i look at you and ask "Stop it?" Not hard
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

So it does. Does consent mean that you, the non-thrower, must ask the thrower if he/she minds? Or can consent come from being asked to? If I say "yes", but then don't, do I get a courtesy? I'm not going to say "yes" when asked. Is that going to be a courtesy?

Stupid rule change. Don't touch discs in play. Don't. This shouldn't be hard.

Last edited by Jefrey A. Brother on Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Rolly wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

How is this ripe for abuse? The old rule was stupid in that I had to stand there and let your disc roll down a ravine and out of bounds or I would be penalized.

Quote:
804.05 Lost Disc

A disc shall be declared lost if the player cannot locate it within three minutes after arriving at the spot where it was last seen. Any player in the group or an official may begin the timing of the three minutes, and must inform the group that the timing has begun. All players in the group must assist in searching for the disc. The disc shall be declared lost upon expiration of the three minutes.

If it's down a ravine, you can locate it. It's not lost. That's a stroke against you for touching the disc.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

So it does. Does consent mean that you, the non-thrower, must ask the thrower if he/she minds? Or can consent come from being asked to? If I say "yes", but then don't, do I get a courtesy? I'm not going to say "yes" when asked. Is that going to be a courtesy?

[/quote]

Both,
If thrower Yell's "Stop my disc", and player stops it I'd give that consent. If blocker yells, "want me to stop it" and throwers says yes, that is consent also. If blocker blocks without consent from thrower then that's punishable interference. So in most cases it will be premeditated. If you say Yes and dont do it, its not a courtesy because what rule would you have broken? If you dont say Yes, I'd say thats not a courtesy also, as your not really obligated to do it.
So are spotters goalies now too?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:

Think about it for a few minutes, its easy. Also too the misapplication of this rule is going to be a problem. Your example Shane would result in a penalty for you. Rule says prevent it from being lost, not OB,
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stupid rule.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
Thumber wrote:

Think about it for a few minutes, its easy. Also too the misapplication of this rule is going to be a problem. Your example Shane would result in a penalty for you. Rule says prevent it from being lost, not OB,

agreed, my bad.

I also see BBPs point of disc in play should be left alone. I think the circumstances where this rule would be invoked are very rare in our area. Courses with sloped green with ponds at the bottom are where I could see this coming into play
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Stupid rule.

Stupidest rule in Disc Golf.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: