Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion -> Interesting...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Interesting... Reply with quote

http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/grow-the-sport.html
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big words from an company that doesn't rely solely on disc golf for it's existence.
kenmlittle
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Big words from an company that doesn't rely solely on disc golf for it's existence.

True. However, I'm guessing the volume of disc sales for company's like Discraft and Innova haven't went down in recent years.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are Innova and Discraft making big coin from disc manufacturing? Anyone have an idea on the profits from the big two?

Is the money for the game to be found in disc golf companies? Or in companies outside of disc golf? I would think it's companies a couple of degrees away from DG.
kenmlittle
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at how ball golf works I think you are correct. Callaway, Ping, etc. all do a ton of advertising, but how often are they the sole title sponsor of an event? It's usually a car company, hotel, insurance/investment group, etc.

It may not help to further our image but beer companies are often one of the biggest sponsors for mainstream and recreational sports. When I used to play more softball it was fairly common for a big beer company to come in and sponsor the larger tournaments. I've also seen companies like Monster do heavy merchandise sponsorships at DG events, maybe the disc community could get some cash thrown in from companies like Coke or Pepsi that might have brands they could target towards our crowd.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just happen to know a Pepsi rep. I should rattle his chain and see what he can do.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any talk from one of the big sponsors is good talk. If nothing else it makes all the big companies step back and consider their models again.

Where is Red Bull?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When hanging out in the parking lot with barry schultz, I asked him about tax's and he said they get it in the ass. this is considered "prize money" not income, so its like wining the lotto down there. This is one answer from one pro however, but this also needs to be considered
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sure is interesting.

Growing more eyes and pro sustainability are very important.

It's pretty enlightening to see how far a $45,000 purse actually doesn't go when paying 50 people deep.

Can you train, travel, accomodate, live on those sort of payouts? I don't think so.

The amount of purse money you need to have professionals (ie. make a living off the sport) is pretty incredible. I'm sure the corporate player sponsorship is also comparable (ie. not enough to make up the difference).

The sport is ever growing though.

I just look at the produced product on the limited TV coverage and think people are dreaming that this will be marketable anytime soon outside the industry.

Dress like a professional to be a professional, would be a good start. That sort of care comes with lucrative corporate sponsorship and Q-school sort of qualification to be on a tour. It'll come hand in hand eventually.

I believe "sports news" coverage helped sports grow in the past. The mediums might have changed but until you're in the sports news you're not a mainstream sport.

I see that more paramount than fixing the USDGC spending and event. I see that more important than paying deeper to support more players. How many 10th to 50th place ranked anybodies are household names? Those that are are really part of the big televised sports (baseball, football, hockey, golf, tennis in North America). Most sports have a handfull of elite players that get all the news and fan support. Everybody else is trying to be them but they're ALL nobodies until they are in a mainstream sport.

The only alternative out there today is X-sports which disc golf doesn't fit into.

Ever watch an ultimate championship on TV? Exactly. This is equally about these companies interests in getting more people supporting them as it is about "growing the sport". The pinnacle is the mainstream media sport but not always necessary.
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do think he's got a point about the age protected divisions. If this is to grow the Professional DGA needs to be exactly that. Split the AM out into there own association. They need to follow the PGA model here.
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roxie wrote:
I do think he's got a point about the age protected divisions. If this is to grow the Professional DGA needs to be exactly that. Split the AM out into there own association. They need to follow the PGA model here.

Good point. I think that'd just happen organically with more growth (ie. full events).

AM's are filler right now.

There's not anything really bad in that article. Just a bit of rose coloured glasses as to how marketable the "best" is. Marketing money is really spent demographically and DG is not currenlty a lucrative demographic being a "free" sport.

Cadillac sponsors white ball because white ballers can afford Cadillacs. Right now only Sparrow can afford that. smile
burjwahzeh
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just gave that article a quick read.
$250k budget for the USDGC?

What are they spending all of that money on?

[sarcasm]
They really need to talk to some of those southern Ontario golfers about 110% payouts is all they need to do.
[/sarcasm]

This article tries to summarize some of the woes of the sport in very simple terms, but they are totally correct about one thing that I took away from it:

Every single one of us is an ambassador to the sport. Some of us choose to represent the sport in woefully inadequate and simply respulsive ways.

And as for all of those comments about the PDGA model, I agree 100% that age protection in 10 year increments in professional golf is bogus; amateurs and pros need a better dividing line, and the PDGA shouldn't represent anyone exept professional golfers. They also should not be responsible for defining the rules of disc golf, except at their own tournaments.
I would add that the rules of discgolf are part of the problem with disc golf, but that's a whole other thumber from the tee pad.

Last edited by burjwahzeh on Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf General Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: