Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Tuesday Stroke Play League -> The Results of Weeks 9 and 10 Will be Posted Later
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Bourgeois
ODGC Tuesday Night Coordinator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:57 pm    Post subject: The Results of Weeks 9 and 10 Will be Posted Later Reply with quote

This post is not about lost data.

All is fine with the ODGC's handicap and performance data set. It's kept safely on redundant storage, and regularly backed up.

This post IS about a series of hardware failures I've had and how they are going to affect the posting of results.

The first was a total smoke show on the motherboard of a network services box that was providing me with several network enhancements. I had backups for all of the critical services on various hardware pieces available to me. This delayed the posting of some results by a day or two as I restored my network connectivity.

Today I discovered that the repurposed box which held the licensed copy of the database engine used for storing and manipulating ODGC's disc golf stats would not boot. Again, no data has been lost; I just lost the ability to access that data. I cannot repair that box due to an agreement that I made with the box's owner. For at least this reason, I am unable to enter last week's TOSS results and update the stats before tomorrow's round. This is the first time since I developed the handicap system that I've ever missed updating the stats for a TOSS event, and I apologize for the inconvenience of this.

Happily, my recent call for surplus hardware yielded two excellent boxes. One is going to be converted to a backup network services server, and automatic backup engine. This will add yet another layer of dependency to the storage and security of the ODGC's disc golf scores and stats database.

The other box was a totally unexpected offering. It moved my hardware portfolio forward about seven years, and represents a superb opportunity to enhance my ability to deliver disc golf scores with respect to redundancy of services and transportability of those services. Regrettably, it is going to take me some time to properly configure that box and virtualize the services that I need in order to resume recording the ODGC's disc golf scores. I hope to get this done before next week's TOSS event, and I should have no problems getting it done before QB 4 finishes.

Thankfully, the move away from weekly payouts that the ODGC made this year allows us to continue offering TOSS on a business as usual basis. I have received results for week 9, and there is no barrier to our collecting results for week 10 (and week 11 if necessary). This period of hardware rebuilding will also provide us with the time we need for the PDGA to get the Capital Classic results corrected, and those results can be retroactively (and fairly) applied to the results of week 9's and week 10's (and if necessary, week 11's) rounds.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience that all of this failing hardware has had on what was almost a seven year trend of uninterrupted TOSS results reporting. I ask for your understanding as I rebuild my ancient infrastructure and modernize the approach to recording scores and reporting results that has served us so well to date.

None of this should prevent you from enjoying your TOSS round this week. It's still the place to be on Tuesday!
Ken Darcovich
GOAT Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Paul.

I don't think anyone is complaining about how you've taken care of ODGC data.

You didn't mention it explicitly in your post, but presumably the update will also include rounds at CF from this year's Capital Classic?
Paul Bourgeois
ODGC Tuesday Night Coordinator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken, I expect that the PDGA will have corrected their non-conformances in the rounds that Mark sent in. The Capital Classic is a special case for the handicap system: I use it to validate the results of the handicap system, and I won't finalize those results until the PDGA gets their own results corrected and posted.
I expect this will have happened by the time I get up and running again (install is happening as I type this).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Tuesday Stroke Play League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: