Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events -> Capital Classic: Lemons and Lollipops Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Darcovich wrote:
Plus:
The turn-out of 27 players meant an uncongested course, and little if any waiting to tee off during the tournament.

Except the AM3 card was waiting for the top open card for most of round 3. In fact, we sat waiting 15 minutes for them to find a lost disc at hole 16.

I realize we could have called them on the time but it's not my style to yell at the card ahead of me during a tournament.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottawa_adam wrote:
In fact, we sat waiting 15 minutes for them to find a lost disc at hole 16.

You got to stsrt harassing them to hurry it up after a healthy 5 min's. Rules dont exclude the top open card, and your patience is giving them an advantage others probobly wont get, because your such a chill guy.

Last edited by Rolly on Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:10 am; edited 1 time in total
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to get gack on topic with MY lemons and lollies;

Lemons:

The OB on 1, didn't land OB all weekend but it seemed unnecessary.

The music on Sunday, it's just distracting during tournament play. (esp. at a PDGA event)

Lollies:

A very competitive open field.

A hot and ready lunch provided for both days.

Getting to play with an all Ottawa card (Meldrum, Twirly, Claus) for both rounds on Sunday.

Playing the shorts the final round Sunday meant;

1) No one had to make the hike up 9 longs more than twice

2) The awards were done in a timely manner so that I was home by dinnertime.
(I'm sure the out of towners appreciated the early finish as well for their trips home)

Having a TD who sacrificed his time and effort to run a tournament he wanted to compete in but chose not to for the greater good. Kudos to you sir. thumbsup

Last edited by andros on Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Dustin
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottawa_adam wrote:
Ken Darcovich wrote:
Plus:
The turn-out of 27 players meant an uncongested course, and little if any waiting to tee off during the tournament.

Except the AM3 card was waiting for the top open card for most of round 3. In fact, we sat waiting 15 minutes for them to find a lost disc at hole 16.

I realize we could have called them on the time but it's not my style to yell at the card ahead of me during a tournament.

So your style is to pick and choose which rules you enforce?
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:
Ken Darcovich wrote:
Plus:

ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:
Ken Darcovich wrote:
Plus:

This was my first PDGA tournament. I had no idea how to handle such a situation.
Dustin
Trodden Teepad

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottawa_adam wrote:
Dustin wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:
Ken Darcovich wrote:
Plus:

This was my first PDGA tournament. I had no idea how to handle such a situation.

It's all good, we all hafta learn ... that's why I spoke up for you guys ... don't ever be afraid to enforce the rules, regardless of who it is.

I had a player get in my face because I commented when he cracked a can of beer during a PDGA event. I didn't follow it up, and I should have, but like you, I had just started playing tournaments and didn't really know what to do.

Last edited by Dustin on Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dustin wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:
Dustin wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:
Ken Darcovich wrote:
Plus:

It's all good, we all hafta learn ... that's why I spoke up for you guys ... don't ever be afraid to enforce the rules, regardless of who it is.

I had a player get in my face because I commented when he cracked a can of beer during a PDGA event. I didn't follow it up, and I should have, but like you, I had just started playing tournaments and didn't really know what to do.

Brave man to get up in your face.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly D wrote:
A number of people have come forward to tell me how wrong I was about the whole ODSA lemon thing, and how I am a big meany jerkface for even mentioning my perceptions. So, here is a little background on that particular point.

There has been a very visible ODSA presence at every other Gold Series event that I have attended. The tent thing, banners, special pencils, and at least one representative actually played in the event. I saw none of that at the CC. It has since been explained to me that Mark declined use of the tent and banners. Maybe Don was supposed to be the rep for the event? I don’t know.

I have heard, from participants at the Midland event, that the drum-up speech for the Classic was weak. Something like “Yeah, so, the Classic is in Quebec I guess. It should be good. Go to that.” It is my personal opinion that since the ODSA lifted the regional restrictions for the series, the least they could do is help us with a lil’ publicity. By this same token, I think the next Gold event should feel gypped that there wasn’t a drum-up speech for them.

Prior to the tournament, Mark had informed me that he had to “buy the trophy discs”, which caused the Classic to be a “high overhead event”. I’m quoting directly here. He has since clarified that he MEANT to say he had to buy the EXTRA trophy discs for divisions outside of the Gold Series norm.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: