Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Match Play League -> New Method to reporting scores!! Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clausr
MOD Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why this new rule of hole by hole scoring? Why isn't the final score good enough? Seems like a PITA project to me.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
Rolly wrote:

From the rules:

Where the winning player fails to provide the score in a timely manner, the tournament director may, at their discretion, penalize the home player by denying them one or more points, but will not otherwise alter who won the match.

I did provide you the end score. You're now requesting a boxscore in addition which is not in the rules. You've just added it in recently which is what I have an issue with.

Rolly wrote:

As I said yesterday in the PM you sent me:

A box score provides more detail of a match then just a scoreline. Thats what the point is.

So you'll penalize us for not providing more "detail" on the match?

Yet you say that the entry of boxscores is voluntary;

Rolly wrote:
When you report matches if possible please provide the "box score". The Box score is just the hole by hole scoring.

Yes, I just added it. Big deal. Is it really this difficult? You have already used more characters complaining about this minor change in score reporting procedure then it would take in characters to just give the freaking boxscores for the next 4 years. The reason why, as I said in the PM I sent to you is because it was just recently thought of. It was actually thought of after you reported your match with Atos. The score was 8-5, I thought it sounded a little closer then what would be expected(Atos covering the spread), but the reality was he was winning holes after it was already lights out for him. So it really was not that close for him. This is when I figured we should include a boxscore, as the final score line does not tell the truth of the match all the time. With the boxscore we could see the reality of the entire match, we dont get that in the score line. There, that is why it came up part way in the season.

Since the implementation of it changes NOTHING in the league (except the 18 characters and space that need to be included when reporting the score), it really makes not much of a difference when it gets implemented. This is not a rule change that is changing how the league runs. For example, Changing Wins from 3pts to 2, making it so there are no ties, changing the Home players choices, getting rid of the schedule.

So, to be clear, the problem you have is that something has changed part way through the season(for the beter), and your resisting the change because...you dont like change? You got to be more clear WHY you dont like this change. Is it the extra characters?

"If Possible" is asking you nicely to do so. It will be changed to a more stern-less polite command.

If Possible means unless during your match you:
Were ubducted by aliens and cant remember the entire day
had your arms torn off by a bear
are in the hospital
are dead
allergic to the internet
in Jail
etc.
your expected to provide it.

Do you have a reason why you are not providing your box score? Im sure you have got it, so what is the problem?
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed up for OMPL agreeing to the rules as you had them written so I will continue to play my matches and submit you the results as I have in the past. The reason why I don't feel the boxscore is necessary is because I see it as "added value" only and seeing as this added value is being enacted halfway through the season( and does not include previous results) I don't see a point in including any new ones other than for statistical purposes only.

Don't get me wrong Rolly I appreciate what you're doing and commend you for doing it but you seem to be taking this as an attack and in reality i'm simply trying help clarify this issue. (and as I'm you can see it's not just me who has an issue with this)

I don't see why can't it be optional this year and introduce it full fledge next year. No?
John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Box score of this thread:

RHRTHRTR(roxie)RRR(Roxie)RRHRASRRACRAJ
Roxie
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point. J
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel wrote:

Forgot the space for the page break.
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Pytel
Sultan of Swill

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly D wrote:
John Pytel wrote:

Forgot the space for the page break.

Oh now this is getting complicated....
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why is Shane not complaining about this? being evil big grin being evil

Last edited by Rolly on Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
clausr
MOD Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:

A box score provides more detail of a match then just a scoreline. Thats what the point is.

Respectfully Rolly, who cares about extra detail beyond the final score? Why is it important?

Rolly wrote:

Do you have a reason why you are not providing your box score? Im sure you have got it, so what is the problem?

I have a reason, I'm lazy. Currently my partners and I keep score in our heads.
With the proposed new method we need a score card and someone needs to transcrib the results into a PM and fire it into OMPL central where no one will care to look at it most likely.
clausr
MOD Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:

He's lazy too. Or maybe smart. Both most likely.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:

Do you want my opinion on this? really?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Rolly wrote:

Do you want my opinion on this? really?

LOL, No.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's next? A request for a full, written narrative?
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
What's next? A request for a full, written narrative?

LOL, nope, the last thing I want to read about is your excuses why you got beat. being evil laughing being evil ( I kid I kid).
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

andros wrote:
I signed up for OMPL agreeing to the rules as you had them written so I will continue to play my matches and submit you the results as I have in the past. The reason why I don't feel the boxscore is necessary is because I see it as "added value" only and seeing as this added value is being enacted halfway through the season( and does not include previous results) I don't see a point in including any new ones other than for statistical purposes only.

Don't get me wrong Rolly I appreciate what you're doing and commend you for doing it but you seem to be taking this as an attack and in reality i'm simply trying help clarify this issue. (and as I'm you can see it's not just me who has an issue with this)

I don't see why can't it be optional this year and introduce it full fledge next year. No?

Andros,
No rule has changed, the procedure of how you report the match has changed. Your still playing in the exact same league, its just you have to submit a hole by hole score (like what you do in 99% of competitive rounds of DG you play). There is no rule change. Its a PROCEDURAL change.

Why is this such a big deal for you? If I had thought of this before the season had started, would this boxscore idea have been the deal-breaker so you dont play? Is it really this much extra work?

The new implementation of the procedure is not changing anything. Ya there is a very very very very minor amount of extra work to be done when reporting a score, but really is it this tough? So far your score has been the only one to come in having me to ask for the boxscore due to pure stubborness. Other scores have complied.

The reason why this is being implemented now is that since it is added value as you say, and since it can be implemented by changing a procedure, and not changing a rule, it is implemented. Why would you want to wait for next year to implement something of added value if its not going to effect anything? Since its something of "value" then why not implement it now? Why wait? Nothing is gained saving the value, nothing is lost spending the value now. There is no real reason that you have given me as to not implement it now except for "this is how it was in April", which I translate to just being stubborn. Ya its changed, and ya it provides more detail for a match thats has been played. If this change actually changed something that would influence results then ya, implement it next year, but its not, so why wait to get the added value? It does not make sense to wait. There is nothing to gain by waiting, and only added value to lose. I do respect your opionion on the added value part, but I will be the one who decides when it is inacted.
Since its a very minor change, that involves nothing more then carrying a pencil and a piece of paper, or remembering the match in your head hole by hole, there is no real hardship added to someone (real hardship, not laziness) so why not start it now??

Again, rules are the same, winner is in charge of reporting, its just the procedure of reporting the results has changed. No big deal. And keep in mind, rules are the same.

Thank you for your voluntary compliance.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you doing anything with the box scores or is it just so you can get a feel for how the match went?

You woke me up, so now I want to know
andros
ODGC Presidents Cup Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what do you do in cases like Claus where he simply didn't record the scores?

clausr wrote:
Currently my partners and I keep score in our heads.
With the proposed new method we need a score card and someone needs to transcrib the results into a PM and fire it into OMPL central where no one will care to look at it most likely.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Are you doing anything with the box scores or is it just so you can get a feel for how the match went?

You woke me up, so now I want to know

its just so you(or anyone) can get a feel for how the match went?

See my example with Andros vs Atos match as to why i decided to start this:
"
The score was 8-5, I thought it sounded a little closer then what would be expected(Atos covering the spread and losng by only 3), but the reality was he was winning holes after it was already lights out for him. So it really was not that close for him. This is when I figured we should include a boxscore, as the final score line does not tell the truth of the match all the time. With the boxscore we could see the reality of the entire match, we dont get that in the score line.
"

This is it. Just to provide readers insight as to how the match went, just like boxscores in the paper.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:

This is it. Just to provide readers insight as to how the match went, just like boxscores in the paper.

I don't think anyone but you is interested. That's what I take from the comments above
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Match Play League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: