Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Video Replay?!?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Video Replay?!? Reply with quote

Quote:
QA36: Is Video Evidence Allowed for Rulings?

Q: A spectator managed to capture video evidence of some stance violations and courtesy violations like one player swearing and another drinking during the round. Can any of those video clips or snapshots be reviewed by an official to subsequently issue warnings or penalties?

A: No. At this point, media evidence such as video, photos or audio clips cannot be used by officials or TDs for making rulings. Only direct visual accounts of possible rules infractions observed by players, spectators or officials may be used by TDs to make rulings.
Applicable Rules: 804.03 Scoring

ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you imagine? That would open up a can of worms, with respect to privacy, etc.
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ottawa_adam wrote:
Can you imagine? That would open up a can of worms, with respect to privacy, etc.

The cameras are still there (and if I'm not mistaken, players in major events have to agree to their likenesses being used by the PDGA) they're just not allowed to use the footage to make a call.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly D wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:

The cameras are still there (and if I'm not mistaken, players in major events have to agree to their likenesses being used by the PDGA) they're just not allowed to use the footage to make a call.

Scott Papa once sent one of his buddies into the woods to follow some competitors and caught them taking a drag off a funny cigarette. Got them DQ'd, and he won! Yeahhh! Imagine what he'd do if he had the power of his phone.
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Holly D wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:

Scott Papa once sent one of his buddies into the woods to follow some competitors and caught them taking a drag off a funny cigarette. Got them DQ'd, and he won! Yeahhh! Imagine what he'd do if he had the power of his phone.

The way I read things, the players could be DQ'd because he saw it with his eyes. A video wouldn't be used to make the call (though how one could argue that a video was taken by a cell while at the same time the person didn't actually see them, I don't know), but it could be used as evidence for, say, the police. (As unlikely as such a situation would be)
ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly D wrote:
ottawa_adam wrote:

Understood they have to agree to imagery. My point of view, though, is that stand for official photographs/video from PDGA agents, not all users of the course.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the biggest reason for not allowing video replay would be the killing of the jump putt. You get guys frame-by-frame jump putting and there would be strokes being handed out left, right and centre.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: