Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety -> Kicking a disc = a practice throw Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Dudes in St. Thomas once tried hitting one of the Ottawa players with Practice Throw penalties when he was trying to knock a disc out of a tree with a water bottle.

Of course they did lulz....

I am still confused if you could even be given a courtesy warning for kicking your bag if no one is actually throwing
Adrian1657
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Dudes in St. Thomas once tried hitting one of the Ottawa players with Practice Throw penalties when he was trying to knock a disc out of a tree with a water bottle.

Now that just being a ass. What would be the penaltie for knock someone out. being evil
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting they use the word "projection" in the definition of Practice Throw.

Dictionary.com wrote:
projecting[n. proj-ekt, -ikt; v. pruh-jekt]   proj·ect   /n. ˈprɒdʒɛkt, -ɪkt; v. prəˈdʒɛkt/ Show Spelled[n. proj-ekt, -ikt; v. pruh-jekt] Show IPA
noun
1. something that is contemplated, devised, or planned; plan; scheme.
2. a large or major undertaking, especially one involving considerable money, personnel, and equipment.
3. a specific task of investigation, especially in scholarship.
4. Education . a supplementary, long-term educational assignment necessitating personal initiative, undertaken by an individual student or a group of students.
5. Often, projects. housing project.
verb (used with object) pro·ject
6. to propose, contemplate, or plan.
7. to throw, cast, or impel forward or onward.
8. to set forth or calculate (some future thing): They projected the building costs for the next five years.
9. to throw or cause to fall upon a surface or into space, as a ray of light or a shadow.
10. to cause (a figure or image) to appear, as on a background.

They use the word "throw" to define "projecting".

Then the PDGA uses the word "propulsion" to define throwing. Which is defined as:

Quote:

pro·pel   /prəˈpɛl/ Show Spelled[pruh-pel] Show IPA
verb (used with object), -pelled, -pel·ling.
1. to drive, or cause to move, forward or onward: to propel a boat by rowing.
2. to impel or urge onward: Urgent need of money propelled him to take a job.

So, if it goes backwards (not forward) does it count?

But really, this all moot (Wink Holly) cause they've just opened up the discussion to include kicking as throwing?!?

Bad ruling.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian1657 wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

Now that just being a ass. What would be the penaltie for knock someone out. being evil

Assault charge and whatever time the judge thinks you deserve.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
I am still confused if you could even be given a courtesy warning for kicking your bag if no one is actually throwing

Me too. It's all in the same paragraph.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kicking a disc = a practice throw Reply with quote

[quote="Jefrey A. Brother"]
Quote:
QA29: Legal Throwing Styles

Q: Are there any restrictions on how you throw the disc?

According those in the movement..... laughing
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian1657 wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

Now that just being a ass.

Actually, it's ingorance. They honestly thought this was the rule. I was at my first ever out-of-town event, and the Ontario Championships/CAN/AM Finals is pretty serious. I believed them, until I read the rule book at home the following week and it says "disc" (and yes, minis are defined as discs).

Most regions have their own interpratations of the rules (up until last year the Shire allowed DOTBs big grin). Best to know the written ones.
Rolly
King of Commentary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a while, but is there a mention for a stroke to count it must be a "Competitive throw?" according to the rules.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rolly wrote:
Its been a while, but is there a mention for a stroke to count it must be a "Competitive throw?" according to the rules.

No I don't think there is
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:
Practice Throw: During a round, the projection of a disc of a distance greater than two meters, or of any distance toward a target, intentional or not, which does not change the player's lie, either because it did not occur from the teeing area or the lie, or because the player had already thrown competitively from the teeing area or the lie. Throws that are re-thrown in accordance with the rules are not practice throws. Provisional throws made pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3) are not practice throws. A player shall receive a penalty for a practice throw in accordance with sections 803.01 B or Competition Manual 1.5 B (1).

Just re-read it again, and it doesn't even have to go 2m as long as it's toward a target. Does it have to be the target you're going for?
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Rolly wrote:

No I don't think there is

Used to be there somewhere, but doesn't seem to be anymore.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
QA12: Is a Drop a Throw?
Q: My throwing hand bumped a tree branch during my backswing knocking the disc to the ground, and the disc rolled forward of my lie. Was that a throw?
A: No. The throw begins when movement of the disc in the intended direction begins. A disc dropped or knocked out before or during a backswing does not count as a throw.
Applicable Rules: 800 Definitions ("Throw")

Adrian1657
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:
Q: My throwing hand bumped a tree branch during my backswing knocking the disc to the ground, and the disc rolled forward of my lie. Was that a throw?
A: No. The throw begins when movement of the disc in the intended direction begins. A disc dropped or knocked out before or during a backswing does not count as a throw.

what area is intended direction? if you grip lock bad and end up throw behind you is that a throw and you just play where it ended up?
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian1657 wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:
Quote:

what area is intended direction? if you grip lock bad and end up throw behind you is that a throw and you just play where it ended up?

Read it again....its not about where it ends up. Its about when you begin your forward motion. Just because you hung onto the disc too long doesn't mean you weren't attempting a throw
Adrian1657
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So in your backswing it falls, gets knocked out or (slipped out??) your fine. But at the monument you start moving in a forward direction then you must play where it lands. Good to know.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrian1657 wrote:
So in your backswing it falls, gets knocked out or (slipped out??) your fine. But at the monument you start moving in a forward direction then you must play where it lands. Good to know.

It sounds like they stole it from the NFL and the QB rules.
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The phrase you highlighted is taken to mean "while the round is still being played." So yes, it would be a violation if someone kicked their bag indisgust during the round, even if their own round is done and others are still playing. It's still a judgment call that has to be made by someone in the group or an official.

- Chuck

[QUOTE=Thumber]In the kicking thread i also asked about courtesy violations for a kick

801.01 Courtesy
A. Players should not throw until they are certain that the thrown disc will not distract another player or potentially injure anyone present. Players should watch the other members of their group throw in order to aid in locating errant throws and to ensure compliance with the rules.

B. Players should take care not to produce any distracting noises or any potential visual distractions for other players who are throwing. Examples of discourteous actions are: shouting, cursing, freestyling, slapping course equipment, throwing out of turn, throwing or kicking golf bags, throwing minis, and advancing on the fairway beyond the away player. Shouting at an appropriate time to warn someone in danger of being struck by a disc is not a violation of courtesy.

Now if you kick your bag, but no one is actually throwing, is it a violation?

ottawa_adam
Deliverer of Democracy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thumber wrote:
Adrian1657 wrote:
Jefrey A. Brother wrote:

Assault charge and whatever time the judge thinks you deserve.

And likely banned from the tourney circuit and club play.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Disc Golf Rules & Course Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: