Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events -> The 2011 Plaid Jacket - Lemons and Lollipops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:51 pm    Post subject: The 2011 Plaid Jacket - Lemons and Lollipops Reply with quote

Lemons - things you didn't like

Lollipops - things you did like
lissyssil
Champion of Chains

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops:

That course. Holy crap. Gorgeous. Challenging. Fun. A great mix of shot types.

The pars. Watching the top AM players come in after the first round with scores around par, and the pros coming in around par tells me that the hole designs were perfectly matched to the divisions.

Lemons:

3 discs down. frown They will be missed.

Not getting to play this one for another year.
C-Kyle
Spin Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops - The new holes and the removed holes....the layout in general
- Hole 16
- Carts for the Super 6(along with getting to watch JAB handle
the pressure and repeat. I could have watched 12 more holes
of that clinic. Minus the last putt of course)

Lemons - Only getting to play there once per year
- The tee pad for 18 being too close to the line for 17 especially
when carts are parked and the same goes for 13 tee pad being the
landing zone for 12

Last edited by C-Kyle on Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:50 am; edited 2 times in total
Scotty J
Tree Pruner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great course guys. Had a blast playing out there and was cool to get to play in the super six.

Course was Awesome!
Carts were Awesome!
Organization was top notch.

Lemons:
Possibly leaving my quad shocks in the banquet room??? Did anyone see a pair right by the score port?
Adrian1657
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops:

That course. the front 1 - 8 and the back 17 and 18. (liked the woods on 17, so short but it could mess you good.)

The people.

the idea that this may become a full time DG location.

Lemons:

The water. 3 drivers (my only 3) down. They will be missed.

Not getting to play this for a year.
vinylfactory
Driver

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent work to all who helped:

Penton, Meldrum, Carl, Kara-Lee, Don Lane, Svetkoff, Twirly. Fantastic event.

Lollipops: So many. This course and event gets better every year.

Lemons:

Minor tweaks, and should be taken with the above praise firmly fixed in view. I offer my humble opinion only in the name of making this course better and tougher.

Hole 12 + 13. Take the basket from 12 and put it in the middle of the trees in front of 13's tee. These are possibly the biggest and most majestic trees in that region, certainly on the course, and those towering pines frame the visuals perfectly. The hole straightens out a bit, but the huge pines become more of a better obstacle than where they are as the guardians of 13's tee.

Hole 13's tee should be moved out to the far left, opening up the pre-existing ball golf fairway. With such lush, gorgeous fairways, built--nay, landscaped--with such prodigious amounts of money and energy, it seems a waste to crawl like mice through the tightest possible apertures. We have enough of tight fairways as it is, and we only get to play on a ball golf course once a year. Let's make the most of it!

Hole 16. Beautiful start to an amazing hole. Let's stretch the tee back to the point where the upshot is truly a thing of terror. As it was, from the long tees the hole was a massive hyzer drive followed by a sallow aviar putt 'n approach. To be honest, this hole looked way more terrifying than it was. Hole 5 was actually scarier than this one...

More minor tweaks and time spent upon that land will continue to yield up championship changes. The Plaid Jacket committee is now able executor of this event, and I have every reason to believe they will always strive for a better and better course and event.

Congratulations to BBP and to Stacie! I look forward to jousting for the Plaid next year.
Chuck Shick
Plaid Jacket Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops:

Seeing the longest-running tournament in Ottawa (next year is 15 years!) gain new traction and carve out new traditions only two years after it lost its home (JCP).

Getting to play a better course (every year) because of player feedback and the fact that constructive criticism and continuous evolution is firmly rooted in our local culture.

The harmony, comraderie and overall goodwill that exists among Ottawa's DG community (and its extended family).

Lemons:

Twirly telling everyone that I said that "the Plaid should be for Ottawa players only." (Never said that. Don't feel that way. Never have.)

The vast divide between what my mind thinks I can do and what my level of practice enables me to do. big grin

Will Ferrell
Thumber
LNF Champion

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lollipops

Amazing course and venue. I was not that impressed last year and wasn't keen to go back to canadian. The new design, clarified costs and only 2 rounds made this one of the best tournies of the year.

Really liked the design on 8, 10, 15 and 16....very cool holes

Had a great time

Lemons

12 and 13 need to be re-examined as they were a choke point. I have never liked hole 13 much

16 could be longer to make for a very scary and fun approach shot

My play

Allowing Claus to run the cart during the super 6....sorry bout that...my bad

Ring of Fire - although I made out with a very nice prize, the time taken means people do not stick around for the awards ceremony. i highly recommend this be the last thing done, or done at lunch

Last edited by Thumber on Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
vinylfactory
Driver

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great point about the Ring of Fire! It's nice in the light, but so is having a bunch of people on board to congratulate our champions.

Perhaps the two jackets should be on hand (comme l'original jacket) to be given out immediately after the last putt is made? A on course little ceremony for the gallery, out on the wilds 'pon which said vestments were wrassled for?

This event and course gets better every year, and I greatly look forward to seeing what the Plaid executive cooks up for us next year!

GO PLAID!
axelfudge
Disc Jockey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lollipops

I wasn't convinced from last years Plaid that Canadian was the right venue for this venerable tournament. That has changed. Awesome awesome awesome!

The course was a 10 fold improvement on last years. I just wanted to play ONE more round. And then one more... and then...

The blues were plenty of challenge. Great job of providing a very fun, accessible and challenging course for all skills levels.

Organization. Top notch.

Water galore. I loved it!

16 was a gem of a hole. The approach onto the green is memorable.

Canadian has good service all round.

Carts much more tolerable this year.

Thanks for VanillaSoft for providing another chance to win a basket.

Rob's annoucement we may get to play the tournament earlier in the season next year.

Lemons

Ring of Fire needs to be shortened. It just goes on too long. Make a format and stick to it. I hope one day that there are 72 people standing around the basket and having some clear rules would help. It's fun and all but after a while... not so much. Especially if you win something and have to stand around the rest of the time so you can go for the basket.

I know it's tradition for the Super 6(9) but it just doesn't seem to have much meaning. I like the spectacle but it's hard to get a good view anyways. Can't you just declare the champion after 36 holes like everyone else? A dedicated 3 or 6 hole tie breaker for all divisions I would fully encourage (Is the tie breaker currently sudden death?)

Plaid should be earlier in the fall/late summer. Fighting daylight for this fantastic tournment just ain't right.

Rob leaving me hanging with the "permanent course" remarks.

I don't like Hole 13 either. It seems really awkward trying to do what you need to do to get out of that hole. Does that make sense? laughing

Would love to see this course used for one day of the Capitial Classic... ok, maybe that's pushing it. smile Would be unbelievable though.

Last edited by axelfudge on Thu Oct 06, 2011 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> ODGC Tournaments and Events All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: