Ottawa Disc Golf Club

Reply to topic ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Thursday Recreational League -> Rec League Wrap
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Rec League Wrap Reply with quote

Well folks, our nine weeks have passed.

During this time, a lot of things happened.

Thirty-two unique golfers attended Rec League this season. Our biggest nights saw 18 attendees, and our smallest saw seven. Not too shabby for our first year in action.

We had 16 new players come out over the course of the league; only a handful of whom had ever thrown a golf disc before. I am so very happy that a number of you kept returning for league night; it has been truly fantastic seeing people of all ages and abilities having fun throwing brightly-coloured plastic.

We gave away forty discs over the course of the season. That's a lot of plastic! The vast majority of the prizes went to new players, so we're sure to see these flying around our courses again soon. If you didn't see your donated disc in the weekly recap, not to fear, it's in the kitty for next year. (Of course, if you want to donate any plastic or other gear, I'll be collecting year-round)

The ODGC gained two new members, one of them a lifer! Adrian and Mike, welcome to the best club in the province!

A lot of players showed steady improvement throughout the season. Sometimes these happened in giant leaps, like when Clay improved by 8 strokes in one week, and others kept gradually shaving stokes, like Adrian improving his personal best by 15. Sadly, C-Kyle couldn't get on the self-improvement train; he didn't better his first time score. Not even once.

Now, even though our time for this year has come to its end, Thursdays are not a wash. Ettyville Superspin is open for its club night on most Thursdays. The directions can be found at http://www.odgc.ca/?s=c&ss=ev. Just send a PM to John Pytel or keep an eye on the forums to make sure all will be well. I won't lie, Ettyville is a tough course, but I also can't lie about it being more than worth your while.

Also, mark your calendars for Falling Colours, LNF, the Plaid, and Ice League. We don't really take a break around these parts. smile

Last edited by Holly D on Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to thank each and every one of you for coming out to Rec League. Your support and enthusiasm, more than anything, made this all worthwhile.

I'd like to thank all of the experienced club members for coming out and showing your support. I know you have busy schedules, and many of you have opportunities to use your Thursday nights to your competitive advantage, so I am very grateful that you took the time to share your knowledge with our new players.

A special thank you to the members that ran the skills clinics. Andros, Old Man, Ben; thank you so much for providing demonstrations and answering questions. Several of the new players told me that you were very helpful in improving their own games, so I want you all to know that your services were very much appreciated.

Special thanks to Rob and the Ultimate Disc Golf Store, for helping to make beginner discs available for this league, and for providing players packs for the brand new players.

Extra special thanks to all the members that donated discs as prizes. Jess, Adam, Leppy, Andros, Deuce, Penton, Paul, Car Guy, Rolly: your generosity helped provide a positive experience to the Rec players. We have lots of players with a good start to their bags (and hopefully long disc golf careers) thanks to you!

Extra special thanks to those members that gave me rides to and from, or that brought chairs for my crippled self. Leppy, Rob Hale, Don, Cyle, and Andros, you guys are peaches.

Extra special thanks to Mark Atos for running things on the ground the day of my surgery.

Finally, a tremendous thank you to Steve Crane. Truly not enough can be said about the help that he's provided. Lugging all the gear back and forth when I couldn't (which was often, as it turned out), doing prep and then getting Atos squared away on the 11th (all while making sure I got home ok). Thanks so much Steve.
adamsm
Driver

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 am    Post subject: Thanks for the great league Reply with quote

Thanks Holly for the great league, it was very enjoyable.

PS that Star Leopard prize had it's inaugural flight this morning, it got me a birdie on hole #4
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the great league Reply with quote

adamsm wrote:

PS that Star Leopard prize had it's inaugural flight this morning, it got me a birdie on hole #4

A great disc for you, Mike.
OMR
ODGC Marketing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job Holly!
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks for the great league Reply with quote

adamsm wrote:
Thanks Holly for the great league, it was very enjoyable.

A good start to a real keeper of a disc. smile
Holly D
Overflow Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMR wrote:
Good job Holly!

Thank you.
Adrian1657
Driver

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was the best use of my thursday nights since the invention of the internet.
The Nicest of The Damned
Ace Race Champion

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to miss being able to land on the track. Because I won't be missing the track.

A moment of silence for the Rec League Runway.
Jefrey A. Brother
King Jefrey

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    ODGC Forums Forum Index -> Thursday Recreational League All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: